The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Disappearing feeders?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starseven

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Disappearing feeders? Reply with quote

This might sound strange, but in the course of 2 weeks, 2 fat ball feeders have completely vanished from my garden.

Just the standard metal fat ball feeder, hanging on a fence bracket, not fixed down at all. I often find them on the ground after the jackdaws have been at them, but only recently have they disappeared completely.

There's nobody with access to the garden so it isn't a human taking them. All I can think of is that it might be a jackdaw, crow, magpie etc flying off with it - but that doesn't seem very likely.

Has anyone had similar experience, or am I going crazy?
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Starseven

My experience of disappearing fat coconut shells which I offer are Squirrels!! They take them and then leave them empty around the garden and I can see teeth marks along the sides. I now tie them on the feeder with garden wire which seems to have done the trick. It only seems to happen in the breeding season when they have young and need to eat well to produce enough milk. If you have Squirrels in your area your wire ones maybe disappearing same way, they can bite right through the mesh to get at the product as we know and are quite clever enough to lift them of the hook! In fact I have a peanut globe feeder and they can swing it round and undo lid so peanuts fall out. Love' em or hate 'em they are clever little blighters!!They will dig up my daffodil bulbs in the spring and eat them too!
Just a thought - hope this is of some use to you! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: