The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

First Hatching
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: First Hatching Reply with quote

First four BT eggs hatched this morning.Dad very busy . Haven't seen the him about much while she was sitting but he seems to be very attentive now. She's still sitting on remaining eggs so it's up to hubby to provide.
How soon can I provide meal worms, are they a bit big for the chicks just yet.

Chris.
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Congrats on becoming a bird Dad!!!!
Mealworms can be put out at anytime. They may take the minis but we on here start with waxworm culture from Waxworms Uk Ltd they are tiny grubs just right for newborns. Then we progress with small -medium of either sort. These have more juices in them and the parents will squeeze the innards into the chicks mouths and discard the skin. So give it a go! Good luck Very Happy
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris
Congrats on your hatchlings Very Happy Very Happy I put out mini Mealworm and the BTs seem to enjoy them. I also had waxworms last year for the first time. Your male seems to have been displaying the same behaviour as mine. He is just now making occasional visits into the box to feed the female...previously he'd feed her at the entrance hole or in a nearby tree. Mine are still eggs although my eyes keep imagining little cracks Roll on the floor laughing
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I've looked on line and ordered one tub of the mini waxworms.
Not sure how long one tub will last but didn't want to get too many first time.
I've fed meal worms before but not at the tiny fledgling stage.
Hopefully they will be here Tuesday and I can see how it goes.
Chris
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sammi.
Good luck with your eggs. I miscalculated when mine would hatch .i thought it was two weeks but these hatched eleven days from laying last egg.
Perhaps it's not two weeks from last egg ?

Chris
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris
It’s when the mum starts to incubate the eggs, she doesn’t necessarily start incubating straight away after last egg laid.
With regards to feeding live food, I have had mini mealworms in the past but I stopped using them and now I buy small regular mealworms to begin with, as Kathy said, parents squeeze innards into their mouths (looks like she’s dipping them in their mouths) then discard the skins. I also put out the bigger ones aswel for mum or dad, I have a separate container in a feeder for waxworms. Don’t ever mix the waxies with the mealies, think the mealies eat the waxworms. Laughing

Elle
Xx
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Chris, if there is enough natural live food around they may ignore your helping hand anyway. Like everything else, they do what is right for them, we just try to help.
Sue
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be plenty of food about at the moment . I suppose as they are still very little ,one catapillar will fill them up. We sit laughing at her bringing in food and they have obviously had their fill. She keeps shouting at them to open their mouths but all have heads down . Oh well, one for me she says Very Happy
Be interesting to see the change in the next couple of days.

Chris
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats everyone on all the hatchlings over the past few days. Lovely warm weather too to help things along.
Had some very tiny wax worms arrived today. They weren't quite what I was expecting having had deliveries of mealworms before in a sack.
I know this sounds stupid but how to feed them and in what ?
Do I put the bran in a feeder for them to find or pick the worms out . If I put the bran in ,I'm not sure if I'll know when they've used them all.
Think I might stick to mini meal after this lot.
Chris
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
Are you talking about wax worm culture? If so put a scoop in the feeder complete with the bran, the birds will sort through and will eat the bran too if they want. Here they do and I am filling feeders with the tiny grubs in a moment.
Alternatively you could sift the bran out if you want to so you can see if the feeder is empty, but as this is the grubs own food perhaps it would be unkind to leave them without something to eat but it's your choice Very Happy
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've separated a few worms and hung feeder in nest box tree. So far not even looked at it. There's seems plenty of food about at the moment and I know it will take a time for them to get used to it.
What sort of feeder do you use. Mines a wire mesh bottom with clear plastic lid which can be adjusted for height. When I fed meal worms in it I had to put a plastic tub inside to stop them crawling out. Could I possibly put the waxworms in without the tub if they had bran to hide in .

Chris
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waxworms don't eat Bran on its own, They live on a special mix of bran, cereal and honey all mixed together, Your talking about mealworms for the bran and coming in sacks, Mealworms come in a sack, I have never had waxworms in a sack before you don't get enough of them to come in a sack. 275 adult ones for £7.50 they always come in a container.

The mini waxworms stay in the food they came in, Waxworms have a special diet and need to stay in that, When you buy Adult waxworms they don't need food because they are fully fed and live off there body fat for few weeks, Not that the adult ones last that long get so few of them they are gone in days.

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
Mine is the 'Scott feeder' which we named after Paul as it was his idea and can be seen on his thread. I have one for the mealies and one for the waxworm culture and in this I put a few adult waxies , which the bt's like, in a plastic tub cut down from a water bottle. In the other feeder I put a few mealies in. I also have a larger feeder for the Sparrows, Robin etc, they don't last long I can tell you so greedy are Spuggies!
Not sure what your feeder is like so cannot comment on whether it would work doing what you say.

I had these feeders up last year and they seemed to work so going great guns again this time. Looks like there is enough caterpillars at the moment but I don't hatch until Thursday so have no idea what is out there at my place but all live food is a supplement. Even if it is not required the Starlings and Sparrows enjoy so not wasted.

Paul has given you a very concise account of Waxie and Mealie habitat well done Paul! Very Happy Applause
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul and Kathy,
Excellent info on the waxies and mealies Paul.
I've been out and removed plastic tub from feeder and put the waxworms in the base of the feeder . The base is a fairly fine mesh but it didn't work as a lot of the small worms dropped through the holes. Anyway back goes plastic tub with worms and bran stuff. I hope the find them now ! Rolling Eyes
The Scott feeder that Kathy mentioned Paul, is that the suet cake one you reinvented last year, might have been the year before. At the time I bought two from eBay. Have never adapted them as last year we didn't have a nest.cant remember ,did you just cut out a cross member.
Chris
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
We all bought a hole plate and cut out the front entrance to suit then we tied it on with cable ties and same round the feeder to stop sparrows etc getting in.
If Paul sees this I'm sure he will speak with you in more detail than I.

Chris I've hatched by the way 2 days early -what do I know! Laughing Party
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: