The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

11 Year Old Nest Boxes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: 11 Year Old Nest Boxes Reply with quote

Eleven years ago I purchased two Cedar Plus Nest Boxes one 26mm hole (Blue Tit) & one 32mm hole (Great Tit ETC) within two hours of putting up the boxes there was a Blue Tit on the 32mm box in which they nested rearing six young, Over the years Blue Tits have nested in both boxes, not at the same time, this year I have Blue Tits in the 26mm holed box & Great Tits in the 32mm holed box, that's a first & working well. Over the eleven years I have had two years where the boxes failed one with eggs & one young ?, the boxes are still in good condition. I remove nests in November & Jet wash & Jeyes Fluid them ready for next year

Blue Tit (A) 1.jpg
48.12 KB, Viewed 41 Time(s)

Blue Tit (J) 7.JPG
206.05 KB, Viewed 45 Time(s)

Blue Tit (J) 2.JPG
101.74 KB, Viewed 50 Time(s)

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Snowy
It must be lovely to have one of each in your boxes. My years have been up and down too. I've only ever had bluetits in my 28 mm holed boxes until this year when a great tit started a nest and then sbsndoned it. I've replaced that one with a 32 and am very hopeful for either a late nest this year or a successful nest next year. At the moment I have a bluetit nest with probably 3 eggs ( well covered).
Welcome to the forum.
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sammi, Sorry it's taken a while for me to replay with work being done on the house (tiling the kitchen) A have had no time, the two years that the boxes failed, first year there was 9 cold eggs, the second year there was 7 nearly fully fledged chicks in the nest dead that was heart breaking. I don't have cameras fitted so I don't know what happened. I used to make bird boxes & tables ETC for me, my family & friends even sold some on ebay but the postage got to expensive. My Blue Tits must be nearly ready to go, the Great Tits are a month behind them, my Long-tailed Tits can not be far off & I don't have a clue what's happening with the Bullfinches she has built a nest while he watched, I have seen him today & I think she must be sitting on eggs, I will let you know if I see any little ones.

Snowy

12.JPG
149.56 KB, Viewed 37 Time(s)

P1060465.JPG
79.93 KB, Viewed 33 Time(s)

1.jpg
92.86 KB, Viewed 44 Time(s)

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you seem to have a lot going on there Snowy. Here's hoping for really good outcome for you. Sounds like you deserve it. Good luck Fingers crossed
Sue
Ps loving all the boxes etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: