The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Benn 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Benn 2018 Reply with quote

Hi All

Its March, but although feels and looks like mid January in Siberia here, thought I'd kick off the season with my posts
Todays scene
Todays scene
Poster: Benn, viewed 12 Time(s)

The weather has been bitter for weeks up here. We have a couple of feet of snow out back and most of our birds seem to have disappeared (to the coast perhaps) No finches, starlings and the tits have stopped appearing on the feeders.

I am left to brushing away drifts of snow under our 5ft fir tree out the back where I have been putting down wholemeal bread, sultanas and biscuit crumbs for the Blackbirds, Robins and Dunnocks.

Amazing to see three Robins under the same tree feeding seemingly forgetting their territorial instincts in this extreme weather.

We have only one male Blue tit rooster in our boxes this year. We had starlings in the Autumn but they have disappeared now.

Here's hoping our small birds can survive these blizzards!

Last edited by Benn on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you back Benn!

These poor animals just face this weather and carry on, Abit of snow and UK goes to stand still Laughing

You got alot of snow, We only got it on the Tuesday which caused some travel disruption. Been freezing cold though and ice got as low as minus 12 here a few nights ago D'oh! love the snow hate the cold weather Laughing

Looking at the weather temps are recovering nicely here going be 9c by Friday so think activity will start picking up in boxes on the forum.

Nice to see you keeping them well fed, I am sure we all have on here. My bird feeders have been packed this week and the bird bath which I have been making sure I keep ice free was hard work kept refreezing every hour haha.

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benn,

Its great that you have a rooster....that's a very positive start to the new season. You are one step ahead already....

In a day or two, I'm confident we'll all see a upswing in the birdie activity....time for the lunacy to begin.

Best of luck for the season.

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benn, lovely to see you back. Funny you should say about territorial stand down in this weather. We too have had a good degree of snow and although the blue tits, robins, and blackbirds that have been around a while now have all been tolerating one another and even feeding together, yesterday we had a thrush and the blackbirds were definitely not happy about this newcomer. The thrush did a strange thing and cowered like a dog submitting for about 10 minutes, then made a dash to the bird table grabbed a quick mouthful but unfortunately the blackbirds were having none of it and chased it away. Seems like in our garden the locals are welcome but not outsiders ha ha.
Sue
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to report since my first post. We still have our blue tit rooster and I guess he is a male since he has made quite a mess. He does have a partner as they both hang out in the bush near the box. Our starlings are back though and fingers crossed they look interested in the box. No interest from Great tits in the shed box again. I may move this but I am limited in where to put it. Hoping our Robin might use the open box in the ivy and our Blackbird seems to have spent the winter in there so may try to build there again.

The weather today is beautiful, first spring day of the year! Makes a change from last weekend when we got another massive dump of the white stuff (pic below) However, the forecast is saying more on the way for Easter weekend Sad

more snow 18th & 19th.
more snow 18th & 19th.
Poster: Benn, viewed 14 Time(s)
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird year for us all so far I think benn, Weathers played a huge part init. Keep us posted!
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No nest building here, but there is some action in our Blue tit box. The female is cleaning out the poo that her partner left over winter. I was worried as he has stopped roosting there this last few days.

Nothing on Starling box either.

We have just got a snow weather warning for our area for Monday with some heavy falls expected! So it could be a very late nesting season Sad
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think its going be a late one for good % of us for the blue tits Benn,
Abit surprised about the starlings though, I thought they would be like the sparrows.
You getting any interest off the starling at all?

Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

We wasn't but an hour after yesterdays post I noticed some old twigs and leaves had been brought in by the starling and shuffled around. But nothing further today. It is a lot colder here today with the wind shifting and coming from the north.
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted Benn, Like you said I think its going be a seriously late start for many of us this year for the blue tits.
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays update, Sat 14th April.

Some milder weather this last 5 days saw our Starlings really crack on with their untidy nest of straw. Our path below the box is littered with long bits that they evidently could not fit through the opening. The female laid her first egg at 11:00am this morning. Very Happy Looking back through the data on my BTO nestbox challenge site the last three years saw the first egg laid on the 10th, 15th and 14th April respectively. So surprisingly they are around the same time. I have posted a couple of pics of her roosting last night and the egg just now. Sorry about the quality of the last one but there is a lot of glare on the TV from the windows in the kitchen and we have no blinds in there.

Our blue tits continue to peck at the entrance hole and inspect the box on a regular basis so fingers crossed they will start to build in a week or two.

Starling roosting in nestbox
Starling roosting in nestbox
Poster: Benn, viewed 7 Time(s)

First Starling egg
First Starling egg
Poster: Benn, viewed 8 Time(s)

Back in box and sat on egg for a while
Back in box and sat on egg for a while
Poster: Benn, viewed 8 Time(s)
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Benn,
Love your starling, They seem regulars for you abit like my sparrows.
Fingers crossed your blue tit starts soon! Weather is looking really nice from middle of next week. Fingers crossed

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benn...lovely to see a starling nest. Such beauties close up Very Happy Best of luck with your blue tit nesters.
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow!!!! Congratulations on your first Starling egg....
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, been jet washing this last hour right under our blue tit box, came in to see that they had just started to bring in moss and I must have disturbed them Sad Anyhow the female has been back twice now having a good peck around so all should be well Smile

Building has begun!
Building has begun!
Poster: Benn, viewed 9 Time(s)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: