The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Sammi's boxes 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Sammi's boxes 2018 Reply with quote

I've been reading all your posts for the new season. It's so uplifting to look forward to another nesting season isn't it? Very Happy I've got my two camera boxes up and one has a rooster and the other has had regular visits from s pair of BT's making all the right signs. I've not connected the boxes up yet as it would mean keeping windows open to feed the wires through......and it's just a bit too cold at the moment. Very Happy The one with the visiting pair is the one opposite the kitchen window so it's easy to view the outside goings on. The one with the rooster is next to the patio door and I see the rooster go to bed most evenings.
I too had a couple of visits from a huge rat who was eating his way through the sunflower hearts...from inside the guardian...cheek of it! I was advised to take the food away for a few weeks and deal with the rat as he was starting to take up residence under the patio! Seems to have worked and the feeders are back up but are brought in every night. Seems it's been a really good year for rats!
I hated not feeding the birds but my friendly Robin came to the back door for his snacks! The feeders went back up as soon as the beast from the east arrived....and all the birds are back again. It made me realise just how much pleasure I get from just watching them on the feeders.
Goodness I'm going on! All the best to all of you for the season. Let's hope this next cold spell will be the last and that your boxes will produce many plump little ones. Soooooo excited!
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sammi...

Never thought to take the feeders in at night... that is what I'm going to do. Thanks for the tip!!!!

It will minimise the nightly visits I feel and maybe Mr Rat will move on.

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck😄 GBH ...I've got a couple of empty black bins that I just put the feeders in overnight and put them back out first thing(usually in dressing gown and wellies!) I have trays to catch as much spillage as possible to keep it off the ground....although the wood pigeons generally clean up under the feeders😄
So far so good!
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sammi
Nice to see you on here again yes it is another nail biting season for us I think. They are surely keeping us guessing!

Glad you are having interest it looks like we are all in the same boat with the birds teasing us. Suppose the Rats get hungry too but a good tip if anyone having this problem. Fingers crossed we shall all have something to discuss in a few weeks time.
I'm off to Northumberland for Easter so expected it will start while I'm away!! Laughing Wink Laughing

Kathy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sammi, things looking good for you, brilliant. Great idea re the rats. We kept having visits a while ago and I did the same as you and stopped feeding for a while, but I felt so guilty. Hubby and I put our thinking caps on and I decided that the feeders were causing most of the problems with bits falling on the ground etc and the rat actually climbing the poles. We came up with this idea:
Bird table
Bird table
Poster: SueP, viewed 8 Time(s)

We bought a cheap bird table, took it apart, put a slippery downpipe to cover the stem and bought a squirrel guard and cut to fit (just in case they did make it up) Fitted the house back on the top. Hey presto the rats can't get to the food. It was quite amusing watching them try to climb and then slide back down the pole. Haven't seen one for ages so hope they have given up. Must say your idea would have been a lot easier lol
Good luck for the coming season (if it ever comes)
Sue
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy and Sue......
good to be back filled with the expectation of Spring 🙂
Good luck to both of you.
Sue I love your rat proof feeder...I too felt so guilty taking food away and hated the quietness if the garden! Our problem is only recent (or should I say only seen recently as the rat was feeding in broad daylight!)and certainly when the weather improves we will be looking at a better solution to the rat proofing and may make your table idea! It is amazing how easily they can climb a feeder pole and squeeze into a guardian! I think I would fear for the little chicks in the nests too.
Expecting snow today again. ⛄️
Bye for now.
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about ...never work with children or animals......over the last snowy days I was convinced I'd get a good pic of my ever present/begging for food, little Robin. But no...I think he/she was warming his toes somewhere else.....I even put a sledge down so his feet wouldn't get cold but I had to abandon my efforts before I had frost bite.
Photo opportunity
Photo opportunity
Poster: sammi, viewed 8 Time(s)
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh loving that little sledge. Why do they never turn up when we have a camera ready? Would have made such a gorgeous photo. Typical. Laughing
Sue
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww Sami, that melted my heart ❣ your a true softy, that’s something I would do so they didn’t get cold feet Angel

Elle
Xx
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rat situation appears to be taken care of, however, I must invest in one of those clear baffles like you have.

Lovely picture...do you still have snow? Shocked Or is that a photo from last week?

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GBH ...no snow for a while ...this was taken a few weeks ago. Glad you've 'dealt' with the rats. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I didn't sleep for ages but if we turn a blind eye then things just get worse...very quickly! The clever bird feeder arrangement photo was Sue's and I'm going to try something like that because taking in the food every night and getting it back out early in the morning is taking it out of me!
And ladies .......I'm going to put the little sledge out again. I'll get my photo but probably without the snow Very Happy Roll on the floor laughing
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameras (well one at least) rolling. Look what's been going on in the fence box.
Early signs
Early signs
Poster: sammi, viewed 9 Time(s)
pretty poor pic but shows a bit of nesting has been going on. Looks like they are stripping the bark off one of my shrubs again Very Happy
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammi that’s great news, do you think it’s a coal tit what’s brought that bark in, it’s just that there seems to be a lot about lately?? I didn’t think bluesy or GTs would have brought that sort of stuff in, but then again what do I know?! Laughing

Elle
Xx
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elle
It would be lovely if it was a coal tit but before the camera was switched on there was a pair of bluetits sizing up the box. No hard evidence yet though Very Happy The other camera box has a rooster and when I looked inside it's fairly clean so probably a female. Sadly I can't get it connected permanently as the cable seems a bit dodgy. I need some new equipment I think Very Happy although I may be able to bodge something together if needs be. I doubt I'll get two nests though Very Happy
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh exciting Sammi! Keep us posted! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: