The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Elles’ 2018 nestboxes
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Elles’ 2018 nestboxes Reply with quote

Hi all
I have been reading posts but not quite had my head in the game as I had to have my beloved 14yr old cocker spaniel put to sleep in January😔, which I must say really devasted all of my family, but with great memories of him (Clive) i am ready and looking forward to the birdy season Laughing so without further ado:

My rooster box no.1 (the box where I had my abandoned chicks, then half built nest) has been having visits from a female taking out poo.

Box no2 which was my successful box last year (which I have now moved along the fence to make way for new Angled box) has been having a lot of visits by a new bluetit, so will have to keep an eye on that cos I don’t know if it’s too close to our house & may well be put off!

My new angled box no 3, I had put in the place of my successful box, well I had visits off great tits looking in, but of course I had a 28mm plate on so it as unable to get in. So I hurried my hubby out to take it off, but unfortunately I have had no other interest what so ever. 😡 I am hoping I haven’t messed things up by moving the boxes around!? Time will tell.

Sorry for the long post but I didn’t want anyone to think I wasn’t interested in their posts!

ELLE
xx
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ELLE, welcome back. So sorry about your beloved pet. Know how hard that is, they are so part of your family. My son lost his 13 GSD last week and he is absolutely devastated. We lost out two goldens a few years back and don't feel we want to go through that hurt again. On to happier things:
I really hope you do have success this year ELLE, these little birds can make us smile even through the tears. I am sure the changing around of your boxes will not affect things too much. I moved my tree box to a position I can see this year, and although it's early days I have had a pair there daily for a few weeks - who will know if they will nest though. Wish they would use my camera box but hey, time will tell. Good luck for the coming season, and big hugs.
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have you back Elle,
Looking forward to your updates, Sorry to hear about you Dog. So sad, They really do become family.
I wouldn't worry about swapping boxes you did it over winter so it wouldn't bother the birds, I think visits and activity for most of us as slowed right down due to the cold snap etc, Still very early yet Elle. I would get a 32mm plate on your side box if great tits have been interested.

Best of luck for the new season, Can't wait to see how it unfolds for you!

ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww thank you Sue & Paul for your kind words ❤️

Sue I have everything crossed for you, believe me. You deserve to have your own nest in your camera box preferably, but look forward to your updates.

Paul, just a thought, you said consider putting a 32mm plate on, but isn’t that the size of the hole anyway?? I’ve never had plates on any of my boxes in past but I thought I would have the 28 put on, just cos it came with box & I kinda thought it made the box look the part! anyway I’ve decided not to have anything on & see how it goes

Elle
Xx
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Elle, Thats correct box hole is 32mm, However I like to put plates on all my boxes I have a mix of 32mm and 28mm. I just do it to stop my boxes getting scruffy looking when the birds peak around the hole and stuff also when bird peaks a plate its hard so might make the box seem safer you know how these little birds fully test everything before nesting haha.

I don't know that is my reasons for always applying plates.

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elle
Yes, so sorry to hear of Clive passing, so awful to have to make that decision it's heartbreaking.Crying or Very sad . However, you now seem to be coming to terms with it and looking towards another birding year.
Good luck with your boxes I'm sure once weather picks up we shall all be up and running!

Keep us posted
Kathyx

Last edited by blueeyedchick on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elle, so sorry your beloved Clive had to leave you. It's a truly heartbreaking decision to have to make but I'm sure he'll be with you in spirit for ever. We had to say Goodbye to our 16 year old lab many years ago and I'll never forget how hard it was to be unselfish and let him go.

Anyway, on to the birds. Seems you are having a bit of interest in all your boxes and there's plenty time yet for the big push to begin. Our garden has been unusually quiet for three days but finally today the birds have returned. Look forward to reading about all your boxes. Take care Hug
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah poor Clive...I'm so very sorry.

I can totally relate as we had to say goodbye to our 20 yr old cat and 16 yr old dog last July. Both went on the same day together on the vets advice. It was easier that way they said. Crying or Very sad I'm not so sure about that.

Very difficult for a of you...and they leave a big gaping hole. I can totally understand how everthing just seems "bleugh" at the moment.

Give yourself loads of time and look back fondly at your little pal.

Best of luck though with your birdies this year... Flowers

ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kathy, gbh, & Gina for your kind words, it’s one of the hardest decisions we all had to make, but we really didn’t have a choice, we did the right thing for Clive & not for us.

On a brighter note, an update on my boxes Laughing

Still got rooster in box 1, also female clearing poo every morning bang on 8.10, I’ve come home from work & there are some feathers in there so don’t know what that means?

My new box no. 3 has had no interest whatsoever ever since the great tit a while ago,( but couldn’t get in cos of plate,. now removed) but that’s Sod’s law cos it’s the one I’m wishing for!! 😭

I’m a little frustrated at the moment cos I have 3 lovely homes for the birds to choose and guess what........ a bluetit has been squeezing into a little gap right in the corner of our roof, right under the facia board 😱, I do hope it isn’t going to take up that residency. My husband finds it absolutely hilarious. I even shouted up to it the other day, “if you go in there, I’m not feeding yer!!”
Will have to see what occurs.

Elle
Xx
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Elle, that would be just typical! My husband/ family find the whole business with nesting birds hilarious- they think I am totally mad. They're right I guess lol. Hope your little blue tit decides it's too cramped and chooses a box instead. Keep us posted.
Sue
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they do like to keep us on our toes. Why can't they just settle in nicely in the lovely homes provided? Were there enough feathers to be the result of a fight in the box? We had an awful scrap over a box and there were loads of feathers in there when it finished. All we have to show this year is a very messy male (I assume) GT rooster who's hung around since October with no female to clean up after him. Still early though, fingers crossed for everyone.
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not replying to you sooner Gina,
but no there isn’t enough to say there was a fight or anything, just think maybe the male is plucking them out himself Laughing
It’s very cold here at the moment with snow flurries so had no visits for a few days. Although a great tit did land on top of my new angled box a few days ago which made me very excited, but was short lived as I have a particular blutit which won’t seem to let any other bird in my garden if it’s around, so it’s very territorial. 😡 I hope it doesn’t scare all potential birds off then decides to clear off itself, makes me nervous already and the season hasn’t even kicked off yet Rolling Eyes

Elle
Xx
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Just thought I’d post a picture of my rooster from last night & where he decided to sleep for the night!

This is side window of box
This is side window of box
Poster: ELLE, viewed 7 Time(s)

How strange... this box is facing east

Elle
Xx
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just seen this post Elle, I had my male rooster doing that in my handykam box this winter.

Any news on your other boxes?

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elle
Is he perched on the window or nest hole can't quite make it out?
By the way thanks for your kind thoughts sent to me on the 17th
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: