The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

K's lifer project
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: K's lifer project Reply with quote

Introduction

As few of you have been informed, I made a new year's resolution to "do" those Finnish breeding birds, that are lacking from my Finnlist. They are:
Anser erythropus (lesser white-fronted goose)
Milvus migrans (black kite)
Falco rusticolus (gyrfalcon)
Gallinula chloropus (moorhen)
Uria aalge (guillemot)
Strix nebulosa (great grey owl)
Dendrocopos leucotos (white-backed woodpecker)
Coracias garrulus (roller)
Anthus campestris (tawny pipit)
Motacilla citreola (citrine wagtail)
Tarsiger cyanurus (red-flanked bluetail)
Sylvia nisoria (barred warbler)
Phylloscopus borealis (arctic warbler)
Emberiza pusilla (little bunting)

So I am now excited with planning my 1 000 km summer holiday trip from Helsinki (Motacilla citreola) to Anar (Falco rusticolus) Smile

Last edited by Karwin on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Case one (January) Reply with quote

In Monday meeting at our work I was informed by grapewine that there had been Emberiza pusilla (little bunting) on a feeder five kilometres away since the weekend. As I got there, there was a twitcher from nearby town playing lure tape. As the place was behind a closed road, I phoned to the town office (whose land it was). They told me to phone to the local road management. Road management told to phone to dumping ground office, who used the area as wc shit composting field. There, at last, I got the final permission for birders to park on the crapfield.

Soon two other cars appeared, the environmental center guy bringing some "pusilla mix" -seeds. After a good while we heard a tiny "tik" voice from a flock of citrinellas (yellowhammers). They flew away and we did not catch a proper sight of tre bird. It looked smaller than citrinella, though.. But I had to get back to work. It was lunch time.

On Tuesday it was snowing and nice quiet (no others) as we got on the feeder. Citrinellas were there and guite soon we located an alien among them. But uhh & oh - it was only a Calcarius lapponicus (lapland bunting). But we did not quit. After few minutes of examining every bird in the bush - voila - therd it was! With my ancient Coolpix I even managed to digiscope few captures, of which simply the best Wink is attached here:

This was first World lifer from Finland to me for five years - and the fifth one I've got in January. This year is going to be good.

I returned back to work with a swissroll. Jobmates, of which no-one is a birder, wondered "why a duck...". When heard the explanation, they thought "birders are nuts", but happy they were with the cake.

Two days later one of them brought two swissrolls - just to make it better than I did. Where will this armament race end?

Last edited by Karwin on Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karri

Moorhens are ssssooo common over here. Then again I'd drool over virtually all of the rest

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - I saw my first one in London. In Finland they are rare, but I know where they are, and I'll be there this summer Twisted Evil

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Karri, bet your work mates want you to get plenty more lifers now there is cake for them.

Don't anyone suggest this to my work mates Evil or Very Mad

I didn't realise that Moorhens were so rare over there, but like Pete I'd love to see any of the others.
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helsinki (Motacilla citreola) to Anar

Helsinki is familiar. Where is Anar?
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how the indigenous Sami people call their land.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed White Backed Woodpecker and Black Kite from your list in Hungary.
Dave suggested I go to Finland for quite a few on your list as well as lots I expect you find commonplace...Hazel Grouse or Hen...for one!!

1 Black Kite which landed in the road in front of the coach after flying around such an amazing breast colour!!

Corinna
dave

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karri,
Roller a breeding bird in Finland??...gor blimey!! Shocked
I've only got 2 from your wishlist on my list, so if
you fancy having some extra company, i'll swim up to your neck of the woods this summer!!!
Could do with seeing those Rollers and GG Owls meself!

Good luck to you...and btw...i don't like swiss roll Rolling Eyes

hahaha...dave.
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonasa bonasia (hazel grouse) and Dryocopus martius (black woodpecker) I hear almost daily when I go logging in the nearby forest Very Happy

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Black Woodpecker Reply with quote

What a bird!! Those eyes!

I think we might have to have a bigg bird forum visit to Finland!!! Cool

Corinna
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Roller a breeding bird in Finland??...gor blimey!! Shocked

About half of the listed species are not regular breeders, but have done it recent decades.

dave wrote:
I've only got 2 from your wishlist on my list, so if
you fancy having some extra company, i'll swim up to your neck of the woods this summer!!!

Corinna wrote:
I think we might have to have a bigg bird forum visit to Finland!!!

You're all welcome.

dave wrote:
i don't like swiss roll Rolling Eyes

OK, I'll get some rock & roll for You then.

This Bonasa came across yesterday:

and this Scolopax today:

finland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Case two (March) Reply with quote

This year three individuals of Strix nebulosa (great grey owl) have been reported inside 150 km radius from my front door. One of them hoots almost en route to my parents. I have nebulosa as a lifer - from Sweden, and I am ashamed to admit that.

11th of March I visited the nearest nebulosa site. Unfortunately, as I got there at 20 o'clock, wind had started to blow, making it difficult to hear owls. Strix uralensis (Ural owl) can well be heard two kilometres away, but nebulosa's voice only carries 400 metres. I spent almost two hours checking the area, but observed not much else than weak Aurora borealis (northern lights) and a busful of Pirkkalandese birders.

Off to west coast, where I spent Satday trying to twitch Dendrocopos leucotos (white-backed woodpecker). They had been reported "plentiful" there since January. I only saw Haliaeetus albicilla (white-tailed eagle) and male Picoides tridactylus (three-toed woodpecker), so the day was a failure. An interesting sidekick was though to hear Acheta domestica (house cricket) chirping outdoors in -10 C temperature. The location is on hot waste pipes which run on an open ditch.

Evening: magnificent weather - calm, cold and cloudless. I decided to return to Hauho, again checking the nebulosa place. It was 1 am on Sunday when I got there. On the second stop I heard it! I drove closer and wasn't it a sweet dull hoot, about 200 metres away. Interestingly, there is a village close by - the nearest houses being just that 200 m away from the owl's esker. Even though the night was clear, it was hopeless even try to photograph the bird, so here is a photo of me in my Strix uralensis suit instead (uralensis is dangerous near it's neast):

Few weeks later the amount of nebulosas reported from the province had already risen to 11. This northerly species is obviously having a jolly invasion to south on this good Microtidae (vole) year. Very interesting coincidence is that in North America nebulosa had too an invasion southwards last winter.

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have the pics!!
Specially the protective gear!!
I would have been very happy with WT eagle and Three toed Woody!!
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Sneak preview Reply with quote

Next episodes: more of those nuisance birds. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Birding Outings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: