The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

My new bird box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gw7

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: My new bird box Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I recently moved into a small country village. One of the first things i done was make a bird box out of old scrap wood in the hope of blue tits nesting in it. I have tried many times before and failed. Anyway put the box up start of feb, everything seemed to be quiet. Couple of weeks ago i seen a pair of blue tits inspecting the box. They have been back and forward with nesting materials. Everything seemed to be going smoothly... yesterday when out washing the car i noticed a sparrow sitting ontop of the box and a blue tit on the cables above. As the day went on, the pair of sparrows was on top of the box and trying to get inside. I put a 26mm plate over the hole when i made the box and there was no chance of the sparrows fitting thru. The pair of blue tits were watching with caution, then they all started fighting. Anyone had a similar problem before? Hoping the sparrows realise they cant get in, so the box isnt worth fighting for. Will be a shame to see the blue tits leave the box, even though they seemed pretty determined that it was their box and they'd fight for it.

Thanks
Gary
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gary,
Welcome to the forum firstly Very Happy good to see your having success with your first nest box in your new place, 26mm is way to small for sparrows so like you said they can't get inside, However I have seen sparrows chase blue tits away from outside and not allowed them into the box never happened to my boxes but some in my area have seen it happen too.

Fingers crossed the sparrows don't chase them away and they give up soon before the little blue tits are put off.

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary, unfortunately I have to say that I have had sparrows chase away bluetits before. It happened to me after a nest had been built in one of my boxes by blue tits. The sparrows were very persistent and eventually the blue tits left. Also one of my boxes had blue tits actually lay and incubate eggs to hatching and with chicks one day old the female went missing. The chicks died AND within days sparrows were in and out of the box - I will never know if the blue tit was predated or chased off by the sparrows!! However, last year I did have sparrows nest in my box and they were really very interesting. That said, I still wanted blue tits back, so this year I have altered my boxes so only blue tits can fit in. There have still been fights with blue tits as the sparrows seem to think they are a threat in some way (maybe over food - I don't know). Luckily one pair of blue tits were feisty enough to battle it out and it does look as though the sparrows have relinquished their hold over this box. Fingers crossed
Hopefully your blue tits will battle on and retain the box they want. I wish you the very best of luck and hope for a good outcome.
Sue
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum. I hope those pesky sparrows don't frighten away the BTs. Will be watching for updates. Good luck Very Happy
Gw7

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sadly this sounds very familiar. Which is a shame as my 6 year old son was very excited as he could hear them in the box from his bedroom. There seems to be alot of sparrows in a hedge underneath the box and in and around the house roofs. Not had much time to have a watch today so dont know if the blue tits have been back.

G
Gw7

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update,

Been out in the garden working on a shelter past couple of nights, not seen much of the blue tits. But last night about half past 6 the pair appeared and had a quick look around the box. Around about the same time tonight one showed up and went into the box for a short time and then flew off. About 10mins ago i heard one calling from a nearby tree so i looked up and noticed the other one fly out the box to the tree. What does this mean? Could there be eggs? Hard to guess, i know. Next box will have to be a camera box lol.

G
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi G
Sounds interesting whatever is going on. ...please keep us updated. My pair at the moment seem more or less absent from the garden most of the day and then early evening the Mrs comes back to roost. The nest is finished I think and possibly laying has started but it's not certain as there is so much cover in the nest....could be hiding an egg or not??
Fingers crossed for you.
Gw7

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news!

Today my son and i noticed one blue tit outside on the overhead cable outside the box. He's been back and forward with food for the female. So guessing shes sitting on eggs. We're thrilled, after seeing sparrows still around the box earlier in the week. Hard work without a camera to see whats going on inside.

G
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good Gary, will keep watching your updates. Brilliant.
Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: