The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Chris's Box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Chris's Box Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
My first post this year although I have been reading everyone's with interest for the past couple of months.
There has been interest in our box since beginning of March but had to replace it middle March, thought we could get away with it for one more year but not so. I think a pigeon landed on it which was the last straw. Was a bit concerned they would not take to a new one as it was so late, the box was from Garden nature and because it was a nice mellow colour they took to it straight away.Also the camera is brilliant , far better than our old one. There's been weeks of carpentry on the entrance hole and I was beginning to think she'd never start building. Two days ago she brought in some dry grasses, so fingers crossed this is the start although she isn't very committed at the moment.
I noticed some are concerned about human activity in the garden but our box is on a silver birch which is about a metre from path that leads down to the greenhouse. The tree is also by two ponds and about eight metres from the back of house. The tree being a birch is one of the last to get its leaves so there's not much cover till nearly May. Last year our female disappeared and left the male to raise eight chicks. I hope it wasn't because she was fed up with us going to and fro.
We have nice dry warmer weather for a few days so let's hope everyone's nests get a welcome boost.
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your getting interest and building in your new box, I can't speak more highly of Gardenature, I have 4 of there boxes (one currently being used my flat roof one) brilliant boxes and brilliant cameras my side box by them is my favourite.

Look forward to your updates.

Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

Pleased you are getting some action - hope everything progresses satisfactorily.

I wouldn't have thought you scared off the female last year - I would think her natural instincts would be towards her young - more likely she was predated.
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, good luck for this year. Seems new boxes are quick to get occupants this year. Keep updates coming.
Sue
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bit of a puzzle at the moment. Small amount of material brought in to box beginning of last week . Once or twice I've seen her bring in stuff but fly out with it again. I was beginning to wonder if they had two nests and she couldn't make up her mind which she liked best. Then I didn't see her for a couple of days although what I presume was the male came for a look about a couple of times. This weekend I haven't seen any tits at all but this morning there was poo in the box. Had a look tonight and there's a tit roosting.
This is the first time anything has used the box over night this year.
Can't make out what's going on . I'm wondering if this is the same male waiting to see if she comes back or a completely different one.
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange one Chris. Hope all works out. Fingers crossed
Sue
chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the goings on in my box.
Yesterday male came to the tree where the box is and hopped about for a bit .
He was then joined by another tit who I presume are the original pair. She started pecking the entrance hole and then went inside followed by male.
The inside is so messy now , he's been sleeping in it for three nights now. I could see the disgust on her face Very Happy . She obviously didn't like what she saw and both flew off.
I'm disappointed they won't be nesting there but I'm glad they are still together, as I'd only seen him I wondered if she'd been caught by something.
Hope he doesn't use the box as a toilet all summer though. Sad
Chris.
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ChrisP,

In the year that I had a close call to getting a nest in my box...this was a similar behaviour that I experienced in my birdbox.

The box was filty from the male, but it didn't put off the female at all....and after alot of weeks of waiting, and bringing in a tiny amount of material, one morning everything took off.

I went to drop my kids down to school for 9am and by the time I returned, approx 9:45 ish...the box was nearly full with moss and other stuff!!!

I couldn't believe it...they were working away great for a few days then after that.

Unfortunately, that was the year, one of the birds got killed by a cat...so all the excitement ended there for me....but my point is....what you are describing sounds very positive.

chrisp

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gbh. You have given me cause to hope something might happen for us both. I suppose it's not too late yet. I see others have had nest building start as late as end of April?
Here's hoping.

Chris.
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, don't give up yet. I keep telling myself there's loads of time as GT started building on 1st May last year. I don't think the messy box makes a lot of difference, we had a very messy BT rooster for months before the GT decided to build on top of it all, she never did get round to clearing it out. All the hatchlings survived Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: