The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Birdbox re-location advice? Should I or should I not!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Birdbox re-location advice? Should I or should I not!!! Reply with quote

Hi all...

Many of you know me here on this site as an annual poster for the past four years, this being my fifth now....

Each year I have high hopes of a chance at a birds nest, but to no avail.
Over the last few years I have moved the box around my garden and last year I moved it to the location where it is now, just off the extension in my back garden.

Unfortunately, I probably moved it too late into the season last year, and while I got lots and lots of interest, it was to no avail and I got no nest.

This year, having thought about it, I feel there is two issues with this current location:
1. The location of the box is quite low, only approx 1.5m off the ground. Is this too low?
2. We will mow the lawn on a weekly basis right under the box.
3. When the good weather comes, we will hang our washing out on that clothes line right beside it.

Now, I'm looking for advice.... I have one last location I could try in my garden that is not prone to human traffic.

It is a spot between my bathroom window and a bedroom above the extensions roof. Cats cannot reach it (I have a cat, and she can't get up there)

So can you please have a look at my picture and see if, in your opinion, I should leave the box where it is, or move to the new location tomorrow?

I know you can't read the birds minds, but if you were a bird, where would you prefer to set up a home? Laughing

Many thanks...

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's totally up to you, If you have cat I'd say higher the better but if your going to be using the part your garden the is box now it's pointless keeping it there blue tits are often easily scared during nest building in 2014 our blue tit was nest building and we let the window cleaner do the windows took all of 10 mins and she never came back so I learned from that Rolling Eyes we can't say yes or no it's your box you do what you thinks best! Good luck for this season
maggie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: should i or shoud I not Reply with quote

Hi I know the frustration you are going through as the same is happening with us we have been unsucessfull for the last 7 years now Tried different boxes and different places but to no avail This year we are having some interest with them visiting the box .The trouble is we have feeders up quite near the box so I don't know if this might deter them.I don't know what would be better in your situation we can only hope you never know you might be lucky, Keep us posted and Good Luck Margy Smile [/b]
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gbh, (hate calling you that), as Paul say it's your house, your box so up to you BUT I am a panicker when nest building starts as like
Paul, I have had blue tits frightened off by the smallest of things during nest building (though they are better once egg laying begins as I guess they have become used to goings on in the garden by then). My take on this would be the higher position so no interruptions during the nest building time. As we all know there are no guarantees with any position or box being accepted. Shame wasn't moved a few weeks ago as I'm sure they check things out much earlier in the year. Wish you luck whatever you decide.
Sue
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks for the replies...was just interested in your take on the matter. I know you are all gingerly replying in case you somehow will think I'll hold you responsible. Ha, ha!!! Laughing

By no means will I hold any of you accountable for my final decision on that pesky bird box! Laughing I'm tortured with it!! Rolling Eyes

Just thought you might spot somehing obvious that might be hindering the birds coming to the house...

Yes, I'm thinking the higher up location would be better. I'm going to move it tomorrow. It's still early enough in the season I feel to hopefully yield a nest.

Sure I've nothing to lose. There has been zero interest in the box so far this year...I was referring to last year's activity.

I'll sleep on it...

Thanks guys...

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good few of my boxes high up on the house back and front, Actually 2 of my blue tits nest and sparrow nest last year was boxes high up under the "eves" of the house.

I have cats myself so none of mine are ever too low down I think the birds will probably feel safer higher up when cats are about if you've had no activity you really have nothing to lose.

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul...thanks...I just had a look at your twitter feed...really fantastic footage of all your past nestlings. It's a wealth of information.

I scrolled down to see a few pictures of the locations of your bird boxes under your eaves on your house to understand better how you did it.

This is a kind of similar set up to where I hope to put mine...so I'm feeling more confident with my decision to do this.

First thing tomorrow I'm going to move it up there right under the eaves.

Yes, I know I've probably blown it again for this year by making the move at such a critical time, but with a bit of much needed luck on my side, maybe the birds will prefer the change?

Perhaps the cats were putting them off? Or the human traffic down to the shed, the occasional clothes line usage, and the weekly lawnmower etc.

Also just remembered, it was around this time last year my neighbour decided to build his shed on the other side of our fence.. that didn't help matters at all. Radios blaring and just a load of general extra noise that's not normally there.

If I am fortune enough to get occupants this year, I can put a mealy worms feeder near the bedroom window and refill it without getting too close. But I'm getting ahead of myself now...ever hopeful!!! Laughing

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you put the box in its new location yet Razz
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting to make sure that the neighbours haven risen from their Sunday snooze, and it'll get done. I'll need to drill two holes.

Took a compass out. The box hole will be facing a mainly eastern direction with a slight nod to the south. That's still within the ok spec?

Going to wash the windows now so at least they'll be done.

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have boxes facing every way, Its funny cause all my boxes in the front face completely 100% south (eves give them shade when sunny) and south is meant to be a big no no however all my boxes facing south are always the ones that get used first Laughing ones facing north etc dont tent to be used much compared to my south facing ones Laughing

Aslong as you have some shade for them so the box isn't in 100% sunlight it doesn't matter where it is north south east west the birds seem to know better than us.

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is good to know!!! I suppose living where we do its not the hottest place in the world anyway...so maybe the birds appreciate the warmer position? Who knows??

Just took the box down. The lens is very dusty internally so that will need a clean now too.

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be true that, I mean Liverpool's idea of "summer" is a few "hot" days during late june / july when the blue tits are long gone Laughing take a picture of your box in the new place when its up give us a sneak peak Laughing
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right!!!! No going back now....and this truly is the very, very last position I can possibly put this thing!!!

So, here is a picture record of the work done!

In case anyone else wants to know.....

Pic of details of the actual Camera that the Aldi birdboxes use:

Pic of dirt & dust internally on the lens - after 5 years of use:

Pic of the box on the house:

Close up:

Pic of internal shot of box as it is now on the wall:

So, thats that!! Wink

There is absolutely nothing else I can do other than move house to get these birds to nest. Shocked

I am done! Laughing

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All looking good! Fingers crossed now Fingers crossed
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done GBH, looking good. Now just keep everything crossed. You get 10 out of 10 for trying.
Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: