The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Beechnut's 2017 Rooster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Beechnut's 2017 Rooster Reply with quote

Hi All
I thought as there were several on here reporting roosters, I'd better have a look elsewhere than the Wallbox(empty) which is the easiest to check as it has a wireless camera, so tonight I looked in the Cherry Tree Box and found a very dirty box, obviously occupied by a male, and by the amount of poo has been in there for quite a while.

I'll have to check out the Pear Tree Box another time.

Male CTBox.JPG
Male in CT Box
255.3 KB, Viewed 68 Time(s)

Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same. All male droppings, but the last two days one of them has been spring cleaning. Its got to be the female. The rooster is in tonight but Im not sure if its the male or female. The floor was almost clean by this afternoon so I guess we need to see what it looks like in the morning.

All encouraging signs though. Good luck with your pear tree box!
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Beechnut & Benn
Glad to see both of you are having some occupation in your boxes. I have to say no roosters here but yesterday & this morning we have had visits with wriggles. Yes the Oke Cokey is being performed in two of our boxes!!!
Looks like there might be a fight breaking out at some point to see who gets the rights to my garden's food offerings when the time comes. No moss yet but it is only a matter of time.
I also have had another BT visit my Starling box Benn but not a snifter from a Starling although they are feeding in the garden.
Thanks for your post on my nest box 2017 thread

Anyway I will not count my nests yet!!!! Laughing

Good luck all
Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
We all seem to be in the same boat at the moment with the right sort of occupant. Although it's early days yet, historically the female has only occupied the box she ultimately uses to nest in a day or two before she starts to build.

I had a look in the Pear Tree Box and the Wall Box tonight and both are clean. I'm still looking now at 705 pm and there are no occupants so I think we can safely say the female is roosting elsewhere. Sad

Will keep you posted if there's any change.

PTBox 8thMarC.JPG
Pear Tree Box
188.73 KB, Viewed 61 Time(s)

WallBox 8thMarC.JPG
Wall Box
193.25 KB, Viewed 62 Time(s)

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still early days yet, I have 3 roosters at moment (3 blue tits) 1 male (messy) and 2 females loads of nest wriggles during day in one of the female boxes she keeps the box very clean, Have never had female roosters until after nest building.

I see the weather is warming up over the weekend up and for next few days so could get them to starting, Fingers crossed for you anyway.

Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Paul

I have checked back over the last 6 years that I have been on this forum, having been lucky to have a nest of GTs and a fledge in each year. The earliest that building has begun is 4th April to 6th April (4 times) and the others were 14th and 22nd of April.

It looks by that evidence, there's a few weeks to go before I can expect any moss in the box.

It may well be different in different areas of the country, and with BTs too, which I think tend to start building earlier than GTs - although I've never been fortunate to have any in my boxes.
Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Things seem to be happening tit-wise in boxes around the country, well, not wishing to be left out, the appearance of the inside of my wall box has altered slightly since this morning as there are a few bits of wispy organic material in there.
I haven't been watching intently outside today as I've been pottering about in the garden and also putting a robin box up on the shed at the bottom of the garden this afternoon - before it rained!

The rooster is still in the cherry tree box as of last night, and I had a look in the pear tree box just before tea - still empty.

I came into 'the office' after tea and thought I may as well have a look at the wall box as I only need to flick a couple of switches to get that up, and yes! Hopefully it's the start - I shan't tempt fate by starting my 2017 Birdbox thread until things really start to take shape. So fingers crossed Fingers crossed

P_Mar18_173302.jpg
Is this the beginning
41.24 KB, Viewed 62 Time(s)

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really good news first you. Bits of wispy organic material is really positive. Yay!!
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks promising! You'll have to keep your eyes peeled see who is bringing stuff in Very Happy
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beechnut wrote:
Hi all
Things seem to be happening tit-wise in boxes around the country, well, not wishing to be left out, the appearance of the inside of my wall box has altered slightly since this morning as there are a few bits of wispy organic material in there.

Hi Beechnut

Its the same here! My Great tit box is seldom visited. Yet over the last 4 seasons they have been the most regular nesters. Since clearing the old nest in early Jan I have seen one piece of horse hair move around the box on regular occasions. Then finally a few days ago I caught site of the male visiting trying to attract his mate. Fingers crossed for you!
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very promising Beechnut Fingers crossed
Sue
Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll be glued to the computer tomorrow to see if I can catch a GT actually bringing the stuff in. Hope the weather keeps dry.
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been glued to my birdbox since 6:30am...I'm like a lunatic here. Silly It's lashing rain here. So I'll probably see nothing today.

Good luck today at yours!!!

Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GBH

Switched on this morning at 0830 and there she was - I was connected to my TV and not the app on the pc, so I was rushing round to find the camera.

I managed to get a snap just before she departed after rearranging the few bits of nesting material and the usual wiggling etc.

Hope you manage to get a sighting. Fingers crossed

19-03-17 Wall.JPG
Wall Box female 190317
176.39 KB, Viewed 59 Time(s)

Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another visit Dancing

DSCF1485.JPG
Another visit 1
170.68 KB, Viewed 58 Time(s)

DSCF1487.JPG
Another visit 2
225.5 KB, Viewed 60 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: