The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Kathy's Nest Boxes 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Kathy, Two will be management for a single bird.
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so pleased for Daisy Moore & your sis aswel, I'm sure your sis will have caught the birding bug, well & truly now she's had some success Laughing

Elle
Xx
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please meet Archie. He is the Frog that I found in my downstairs toilet bowl a while ago. He's grown quite a bit and is living in my rockery!. I know he isn't a bird but he is handsome don't you think, for a Frog that is?
Perhaps he might turn into a handsome prince if I.........? Roll on the floor laughing no on second thought perhaps not!

Kathy Laughing

Mr Frog(1).JPG
Archie
163.19 KB, Viewed 46 Time(s)

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree he is quite a looker Kathy Very Happy I hope you've built him a pond now so that he doesn't need to use the local convenience Very Happy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh he is lovely Kathy. I love frogs. Used to see lots of them. Unfortunately now see very few frogs, lizards, sloworms etc. Is it just us or or they getting rarer? Years ago when we were having an extension to a bungalow, the footing were very deep and the land was clay, so water kept filling the newly dug footings. Every day we would have to rescue several frogs that thought it was wonderful man made ponds. The night before the concrete etc was due to be poured, my husband announced "if there are any out there in the morning I'm afraid they will be gonners". The next morning I woke up to find my husband out of bed (most unusual), and I found him frog catching with the words "come on sweeties, I won't hurt you, let's get you somewhere safe" - Big hard man ha ha. We've never let him forget.
Sue
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww Sue ...that story will make smile all day. Your hubby sounds like a real treasure. Very Happy
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue, Bless your husband for that! poor bloke he must really regret it now having been heard. Embarassed
No we haven't seen frogs in the garden for some years so I was particularly pleased to see Archie. I have been watering the rockery so he gets a little moisture in this hot weather and he does have an old washing up bowl with water in it and a brick but he won't go in it he preferred my toilet bowl I think? Roll on the floor laughing
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, yes he so regrets being overheard Kathy. Fancy not letting Archie stay in the toilet bowl- he obviously thought it was quite convenient (sorry about that)
Sammi, let's just say he has his moments - .........occasionally Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone hope you all have had a good summer.

As it's still 2017 I am using this same thread to let you know I have my first Rooster Blue Tit snoozing in my high wall Box 1!! Very Happy
This is really early for me, but the nights are getting quite autumnal here so I suppose you cannot blame the bird wanting a cosy roost. There are also a few bits of moss in the box so it might be a confused female; there are also very few droppings. This of course might not be long lived but a nice surprise anyway and might indicate a probable nest site for this bird next spring?

Kathy
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Kathy,

I just poped on to see if anyone had posted, We normally get are roosters from 26th but could be earlier this year judging by you Surprised

I am sure Angelo had a female rooster who added bits of material all winter in 2014/15 that went on to nest could be a good thing!

Keep us updated, I will be back when we get a rooster.

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Paul
My little bird has been coming into the box on and off all day according to my recorder. I changed the cameras around as you know so now the colour is much better saying it is in a dark spot under the eaves. I am hoping for better pictures & viewing next season.
I have also had a visitor today to my lower wall box. I'm sure they are looking for insects although I am feeding them live mealies at the moment. As you say it might be a good indication of a nest next year. I will see if she comes in tonight to roost!
At least it's better than the telly don't you think! Laughing

Yes, keep us posted if you have a night sleeper!
Kathy
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy

I too have had a Bluetit roosting since 8th sept (well that's when I noticed) in box 2 it's female cos it's very clean. I already had taken box 1 down to clean the nest out but got late to take box 2 down, so it's a good job I checked that night and saw the rooster. So really don't know for sure how long it has been there.! Although I had noticed since end of August, a lot of activity in the garden (not sure if they were my babies), but I'm hoping there will be a lot more pairs next year because there is normally only literally a couple of pairs roundabout!
I have been debating whether to put windows in my box 1 which has had great success in the past, but I'm a bit afraid in case it changes my luck Laughing

Hope you've had a good summer Very Happy

Elle
Xx
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elle
Well, that beats me then, thought I was the first this autumn!!
Yes, yours is probably a female as you say so like me I hope this is good sign for you next spring. Is it a Blue or Great Tit? We have had quite a few Greats and a lone Coal Tit in the garden plus 5 Bluey's at one time so it looks positive. We put a window each side both our tit boxes and they don't mind a bit. It is great for letting subtle light in for the cameras but doesn't disturb the birds.
My little bird is in box again tonight so all is well for now. I have so missed all 9 of them - silly me!!!!

Kathy x
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bluetit Kathy
[album]8253[/album

I don't know if you will remember I had a bluetit which roasted right through the year, I named him Dav-id !! From a TVs show (little Britain!!) because I think he never, ever had a female partner Laughing
I seem to have early roosters but somehow seem to be one of the later ones for breeding!!! Strange!!

Elle
Xx
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kathy
Photo dint come through!

Here she is!
Here she is!
Poster: ELLE, viewed 7 Time(s)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: