The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Kathy's Nest Boxes 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey they are starting early this year, Still no roosters here. I have over 20 blue tits around the garden though daily 4 of them being my orange ring ones (from what have seen anyway could be more) so I am expecting a little fluffy ball to come in one of the boxes within the next few days.

Does look like a female from the box Elle, If its been roosting since 8th and no sign of poo it must 100% be a female.

Saying that last year, I had a rooster that was female and left all its poo. Reason I know it was female is because a male was bringing it to the boxes all the time (scruffy) if you remember her with the bald patch? she must of been a dirty female never once cleaned Surprised Rolling Eyes

xxMariaxx

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a nuthatch roosting since 5th September.. In the box my darling son made.. Same box that was used this spring..

IMG_7617
IMG_7617
Poster: xxMariaxx, viewed 14 Time(s)

Can't see her wonderful colours due the camera turning black and white at dusk..I believe she is a female..Very clean box
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maria
That is a special photo, I have never seen a Nuthatch take up a nest box before-brilliant!!! Very Happy Do they nest in boxes I wonder perhaps Paul will know?

Elle
Yes, a cosy home for these chilly nights, makes you feel good doesn't it when they choose your box even if it's just for a one off stop over as I have had in the past. Love it how they fluff themselves up to trap heat and keep warm. Don't blame them either as I have just popped my fire on!!

Paul
You are right soon we must be hearing a cry from you that one has taken up residence! Laughing
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, just popped on for a glimpse at Paul's thread and hadn't realised others were also on here. Looks like the roosters are starting early - wonder if that's a sign of a cold winter? Loving the nuthatch! Great news all of you - am now checking my only camera box daily. Fingers crossed

Calendar being used but not for hols Kathy Sad , just dental appointments, hubbys car servicing etc, very boring stuff at moment. Loving it though.

Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now got some dried grasses coming in along with small bits and bobs of moss etc-how odd is that so soon after the breeding season?
My bird must be totally confused or she is eager to get going! Looks like she definitely wants this box for 2018.
Bless her Very Happy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really strange to be bringing in nesting material Kathy! Maybe this little bird knows it's going to be a cold winter and is going to make sure this next box will be warm and welcoming. Wish we knew what went on in their little heads. Do keep us posted.
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Had a nice surprise yesterday in my Starling Box. As you will probably remember from earlier this year I commented on erecting a Starling box on advice from RSPB. Well hubby put one up on the front of the house in Autumn 2015 and I have not had one viewing from this species until yesterday! Interesting that she/he stayed in the box for 15 mins on the last of three visits and was looking around checking things out especially the window to see if it was secure.
I am hoping that now it has been viewed I might be lucky for a nest 2018 but you never can be sure of anything in the nest box line can you?

See how gorgeous the colours are, the speckles are jewel- like close up. Unfortunately my camera really doesn't do the bird justice but I'm sure you will get the gist. I understand that the eggs are a lovely blue, so I am keeping fingers crossed.
Off for a weeks break tomorrow so will have to wait and see if it visits again.

I still have my rooster Sue but no more material has come into the nest so thinking she is calming down a little.
Kathy Very Happy

Starling 2017(1).JPG
202.63 KB, Viewed 40 Time(s)

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Kathy, that looks very promising. I agree they are beautiful looking birds. So hope it leads to a nesting for 2018, be wonderful.
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant the starling box is finally get views Kathy, May turn into a rooster then nester for you! Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Always been meaning to get a starling box because we always get around 20 - 30 in the garden during winter and even more of a summer.

But I don't honestly think I have the room no more Laughing every telly as 2 cameras on as it is! Laughing

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha , Paul, you need an extension room full of tv's for all the screens you need Laughing
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyone
Last night I had my second rooster. This time a Great Tit! She (I think female - no poo) has been coming into the box for a few days now and while in there tapping the box frantically, searching out what I think may be insects but testing the wood at the same time as I can see little holes appearing.
She has been in again this morning doing the same thing and it's so noisy.

Lily is still with us she has a few droppings but she does remove them from time to time. Her hormones have lessened - no more moss coming in and less daily visits, suspect it's to do with the cooler season now.
Lovely though to see them both snuggled up on the screen when I turn in myself. They go out in the morning within a few mins of each other.
Hope the GT stays with us but in the past they have stayed a few nights and then left so Fingers crossed
All I need now is a Starling rooster to complete the set!!!

Blue Tit Rooster Sept 2017(1).JPG
Lily Blue Tit Rooster 2017
168.49 KB, Viewed 36 Time(s)

Great Tit Rooster Oct 2017(1).JPG
Great Tit Rooster 2017
127.42 KB, Viewed 36 Time(s)

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Kathy! You are catching up to me haha, #TeamRoosters Laughing keep us posted be great if you got a starling too as you said.
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that is brilliant Kathy. Such good news. How nice to have a clean female too. I am always left with a messy male and should I clean or when to clean in readiness for nesting season. So far not got rooster that I know of so not a problem yet lol.
Sue
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great Kathy, I must say I have a soft spot for Great tits, they are a lovely bird. You are very lucky.
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive happy birthday to you Kathy (Just seen it on the forum "todays birthdays") hopefully you listed the right day and it is your birthday Laughing

Hope you have a special day you deserve it! The forum would be a duller place without you and we all love your posts your always one of my favourite threads to check during spring along with a few others.

Wish you nothing but the best today and it is only a few weeks now before we can put your amazing calender's on are walls (looking forward to that!)

Anyway Happy Birthday and enjoy your day.

Paul x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: