The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Benns Nestboxes 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Benns Nestboxes 2017 Reply with quote

Hi All

As its March I'd thought I would kick off the season with a couple of pics. First up is our Starling couple who are back roosting together most nights,they peck each other quite fiercely when they first enter the box at night. We called them Simon & Liz after good friends of ours who tend to bicker Very Happy I have added two more windows at the side of the box to try to improve the colour this year as its mounted under the eaves of the house and gets little light through its roof window.

Next is our male blue tit who has been roosting in our wall box all winter. Its very messy in there and I am going to give it a good clean this weekend. We have heard loud hole pecking from this box during the day but I am convinced its not blue tits but Great tits as when this happens I hear the call of a male Great Tit from the nearby bush.

Our other shed box was inspected by Great tits in January but we have not seen any interest since.

Simon & Liz -the starlings
Simon & Liz -the starlings
Poster: Benn, viewed 5 Time(s)

Male blue tit
Male blue tit
Poster: Benn, viewed 6 Time(s)
[/img]
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you back Benn! Hope this season is a good one for you Very Happy
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Looks like I was mistaken regarding our wall box. This bright morning a female blue tit is busy pecking at the entrance hole and is gradually clearing the mess left by her roosting partner. Smile

Starling female also busy doing the same thing.
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good sign Benn! All looking promising for you Very Happy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Benn, all looking good.
Sue
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue & Paul

Yes looks like the spring like weather and sunshine has kicked off the season for us today.

Our female Blackbird has been furiously building in our ivy again since 11am. She's been at it non stop. I nipped out once when she flew away to collect material from a few gardens down but could not locate the nest as its quite high up. I do still have a working camera in that bit of the ivy lower down but I'll need the step ladder to find the nest and set it up. Cant do it now as she is so busy and collecting most of the nesting material from our garden.

I am going to have to think hard about how to protect the nest from magpies Thinking
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as you with the blackbirds Benn, Female as been building for a few days I can't find the nest though the ivy runs along my full fence and its so thick, On the plus side If I can't find it less chance of magpies etc finding it Very Happy
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the nest yesterday tea time after all the nest building activity had died down. I needed a step ladder as it was right at the top of the ivy. I managed to relocate the camera and she is back building this morning. Some pics below. They are just snaps of the TV screen as I am still trying to find a set up that will give me the best of both worlds. ie live TV feed in the kitchen plus video capture via a wireless router to my laptop.

Not too hopeful for this nest as its only about 6 inch from the top of the ivy and far more exposed than last years which the magpies found.

Blackbird nest
Blackbird nest
Poster: Benn, viewed 4 Time(s)

Blackbird nest 2
Blackbird nest 2

Blackbird nest 3
Blackbird nest 3
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First egg of the season Very Happy Laid in last hour!

egg1
egg1
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some building has begun in our Starling box. The mild weather has certainly got things moving Smile

Starling 1
Starling 1
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Benn, our blue tit started yesterday probably be few weeks before she is "serious" about building though
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at that lovely egg!!! Congratulations!! Razz
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you getting on with your new DVR?

I have done alot of research on this since the other day...so I'm a bit knowledgeable about them now.

I've seen a good few with hugely varying price ranges on Maplin, Amazon, Argos and a few other sites.

Can I ask what model you ended up getting?

I'm interested in the wireless connection to the Internet rather then the Ethernet connection, as I'd need a very, very long cable!!!

Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GBH

Erm had a bash on Saturday morning for a few hours but could not get a picture feed from it. Ran out of time so I've just been having another go today.

After much frustration and diagnostics I finally discovered that the HDMI slot on my 12 year old kitchen TV was damaged ( probably my fault ). So I have just ordered the cheapest 1080p 32 inch flat screen I could find on the internet which will be here tomorrow. My old system ran a scart cable to the TV.

As for the DVR I went for this one. I purposely did not add a hard drive for recording to keep the cost down. But I opted for the wifi extension which turned out to be just a USB wifi dongle. Like you my router is about 3 rooms and 20 metres away! So running a network cable would be a pain.

https://domar.com/domar-green-4-channel-hd-mi-960h-full-d1-dvr.html

Note: I had to use some RCA to BCN input adapters for the video feed which I had anyhow but are cheap to buy.. Most camera boxes are supplied with RCA cables
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pack-BNC-MALE-TO-RCA-PHONO-FEMALE-CONNECTOR-ADAPTOR-CCTV-/290746792439?var=&hash=item43b1dbf9f7:m:m3K-1BJtzvZBliREtcp1Ggw
The new TV arrives tomorrow so will let you know how things turn out.
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update.

Whilst trying to set up my new DVR which turned out to be faulty, I noticed our Blackbird is now incubating 4 eggs. The last must have been laid on Monday morning.

Also noticed the Great tits inspecting our shed box, blue tits in our wall box and the starling continuing to build.

Will reconnect my old system tomorrow so should have some pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: