The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Pauls boxes 2017 [2 Blue Tits,Sparrow,Dunnock,Great Tit]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Pauls boxes 2017 [2 Blue Tits,Sparrow,Dunnock,Great Tit] Reply with quote

Thought I would start this thread early due to having a lot of interest already in my boxes daily visits etc.

I have 8 camera boxes in total and all of them are all colour for 2017!

Here's a picture of all 8 boxes

8 colour camera boxes
8 colour camera boxes
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 66 Time(s)

Here's some pictures from inside of the colour quality very happy with them

inside
inside
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 11 Time(s)

I currently have two blue tit roosters this year 1 being a messy male and I think the other is a female never no mess at all. Sparrows have been checking there box out daily (it got nested in twice last year) so that is looking promising again.

Looking forward to 2017 was my aim to get all my boxes full colour for the new year so am glad I made it happen Very Happy hope everyone had a good Christmas and all the best for the new year Spring will soon be here!

Last edited by WildlifePaul on Tue May 16, 2017 5:49 pm; edited 14 times in total
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year everyone Very Happy all of my boxes have been getting daily visits before I caught a blue tit checking out one of my side view boxes I don't have all fancy stuff that records it all time or nothing, I can only get pictures / videos when I see it myself, However my boxes have little black things in I put inside to know when something been in and they are always moved so getting good activity at the moment.

Here's a picture of the visitor today though that I managed to caught in the act Roll on the floor laughing Banana!

Bluetit visit 2nd january 2017
Bluetit visit 2nd january 2017
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 12 Time(s)

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More visits to one of my Side View boxes today.

Picture here

Another visit
Another visit
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 8 Time(s)

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words can't even describe how excited I am right now, One of our blue tit chicks we ringed last year (white ring) as just visited one of my side view boxes, I managed to get a picture isn't the best of pictures but it was a quick visit and I only seen the last part of it.

Blue Tit Visit White Ring
Blue Tit Visit White Ring
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 14 Time(s)

I'm crossing my fingers I get a nest off one of the ringed chicks from last year I think that would be pretty incredible!

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
I've just popped my head into the forum and have read your updates. The bird with the white ring is an interesting concept. Not only has he/she survived but is still in the locality and if female possibly sussing out boxes to breed in. It does prove the accepted theory that Blue Tits move no further than the 2 miles radius of their birth place.
I hope you are writing all this down because if it does go to a nest in the Spring this is really worthwhile info which the experts should know about!

I have to say that although my Bluey's are around not a snifter yet of a rooster! Fingers -crossed that I shall have a better year than last!!
Kathy
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading your updates, Paul. doesn't it all look very exciting! I really hope one of your blueys returns to carry on the family tradition in your boxes. The waiting begins in earnest now, can't wait to see what happens. Very Happy .

Good luck to you, Kathy as well Very Happy . Hope you have lots of success.

I have one box at the moment occupied by a VERY messy roosting bluetit. The other two are still empty, and clean so have to wait and see what the next few weeks brings. Hope they don't leave it as late as they did last year.
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina
Good luck to you as well. These messy male BT roosters need a good talking too!
It's still very early yet but I have noticed local BT's have come back into my garden now so may be that is a good sign.

I am wondering if I will get any Starling interest in my new camera box for 2017, I hope so.
I shall keep an eye out in a couple of months as they breed a little earlier than the BT's. Off now to register for the Big Garden Birdwatch!

Will let the forum know if anything interesting occurs. Laughing
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Just logged in for the first time this year.

Your boxes look amazing. Looks like you already well on your way to a good season. The ringing is fantastic. did you ring all your nestlings last year?

I've still to clean out my boxes from last year and clean and adjust the cameras. I did see our Great tits inspecting their box yesterday and I think I have a blue tit roosting in the ceiling camera cavity of my other box that they half heartedly built half a nest in last year before giving up.

My starlings are roosting as a pair so that also looks promising.

Good luck for 2017.
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys Kathy, Benn, Gina nice to see you all back hope you all have a good season this year wont be long now Very Happy

Had some visits to one of my other boxes today playing abit of hi-spy by the looks of it Razz

Hi-Spy checking out the box
Hi-Spy checking out the box
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 8 Time(s)

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul (and everyone on here),
Wow, looks really exciting for you Paul, can't wait to see if your ringed blue tit actually has a family this year, wouldn't that be fantastic.
I have a very very messy male rooster in my box this year - yuk.
Other boxes have had visits but am having problems with sparrows chasing the blue tits off each time they show interest and am worried it will put the blue tits off all together. Although I enjoyed the sparrows last year I really long to see blue tits in my boxes. Wondering whether to stop feeding the birds in my garden altogether as it is only the sparrows and a pair of blackbirds that feed here. The blue tits only seem to appear at nesting time.
Don't know what others think?!
Still only have the one camera I'm afraid (hubby wouldn't allow more wires around the garden etc), but I'm pleased I have won him over with the one. I will keep working on it!
I am only popping in from time to time to read any updates as not a lot to report myself. Also will be out of action the whole of February so hope I don't miss too much.
Good luck everyone, can't wait for the season to start proper.
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue and all
Yes, I'm eagerly waiting for a tenant to look at any of my boxes too.

Only suggestion I can make is to make sure the hole of the nest box is only big enough for BT's. You can buy a metal plate from RSPB specially designed to reduce the larger hole. This will hopefully stop the Sparrows squeezing in.They are cheap at about £2.50+p&p
Kathy Very Happy
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely to see you back Sue Very Happy Like Kathy suggested only thing could be nest box plates but if the sparrows are chasing the blue tits I doubt that would help much, Our sparrows box is quite close to box blue tits are checking at moment and they don't mind them but then again that's probably because the sparrows have their own box from last year and the blue tits aren't interested in it Laughing One nest box camera is better than none pluss you always get brilliant pictures from outside your boxes!

Another picture from today of a PAIR visiting one of my boxes this is the "flat roof box" from Gardenature love gardenature boxes (my side boxes are from there) gives you chance to see the hole and the nest.

Here's the picture anyway

Pair checking out the box
Pair checking out the box
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 7 Time(s)

Be good to see how many nests I get this year not expecting 3 blue tits and 1 sparrow again but be amazing if it did happen Very Happy

All the best in all your boxes (who ever checks this thread) looking forward to seeing everyone posts in the coming weeks Very Happy

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Paul
I am so envious!!! That is a lovely picture and shows what a treat you may be in for again this season. I am upset at the moment as I found another attacked Pigeon on the lawn this morning. I know its the local moggies as we have quite a few in the close. I hope this is not the shape of things to come.

I like Pigeons after one decided to end its days in my back garden staying with me for three days before I found it had roosted and died under my conifer tree. I buried it alongside my budgies in their own little graveyard! It's a sad world isn't it? Sad
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, Paul you certainly are getting some interest. So envious of your magic touch.
As you and Kathy have said about the hole plates I thought I would explain that all my boxes have got plates on now (did it the end of last season), One has a 26mm plate and two have 27mm plates. Am certain the sparrows can't get in as they struggled last year before the plates went on, but they just don't like the blue tits around!!! Will just have to wait and see what happens.
Only popping in now and then but good to see so much movement on here already.
Thanks
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sad Kathy Sad I don't mind the pigeons.

Just had a late evening visit (thats why its black and white) to my flat roof box same box I posted above the other day when a pair visited.

Here's a little picture

Late evening visit.
Late evening visit.
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 6 Time(s)

Down to 1 rooster now from 2 also, Its a messy male (Think its same male from last year who had 3 females in my boxes) He as same tail I know sounds weird but his tails really long and it as this white line down the side on one side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 1 of 34

Jump to: