The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Magpie nest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Magpie nest Reply with quote

We have a pair of magpies building a nest in a large silver birch tree in a neighbouring garden. They've already been building for around 6 weeks and the nest is finally starting to take shape. They both seem to be bringing beaks full of mud so I assume this is to line it. I'd rather they didn't choose a site so close to my nest boxes but nothing I can do about that! However for the last two weeks they are being regularly harassed by a pair of carrion crows, one sits in the nest the other just beside it, the magpies put up a token fight at first and then the two pairs seem to sit and glare at each other. Eventually the crows fly away and everything is back to normal. Has anyone experienced this and is it likely the carrion crows will take over the nest?
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both hardy birds Gina, Any of them could win. Probably likely the magpies will keep the nest though, I wouldn't worry to much about magpies nesting to close. Last year we had magpies nesting 2 gardens down in a big tree didn't bother the blue tits and when blue tits fledged the magpies didn't harm them. Don't know if we just got lucky with that but didn't bother them or harm them.
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Paul. I'm still intrigued watching them build, it really is quite a masterpiece even if it looks a tad messy. They're both working well together and there does seem to be quite a lot of co-operation between the two of them. Carrion crows still turn up occasionally but I think the magpies are becoming a bit more brave now and manage to clear them off quite quickly. Unfortunately the nest is very close to one of my boxes, almost directly above, at least I'll have an excuse when nothing nests in that box Very Happy . Looking forward to all your posts in the nest box forum.
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this Gina. Our Magpie experience this last two years is not great. They nested at the bottom of our street and have stole our Blackbirds eggs on three occasions in that time. Two years ago they also picked off at least 3 Great tit chicks as they jumped up to the nestbox hole to fledge Sad

Hate the buggers!
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, Benn. A couple of years ago they killed a newly fledged blackbird in the middle of our garden, it was horrible to see. The nest is now complete and I think maybe they have eggs as I occasionally see one of them going in or coming out of the nest (magpies not eggs!!). Just wait and see now but I must admit, however much I'd rather they'd chosen a different site, I do miss watching them build. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: