The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

My Garden aspirations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nina wrote:
Could be The Hikers Cafe at Hengistbury Head with My Mum (who will not be able to walk very far) and Trish, Keith and my other half Graham.

I visited there in September see Corinna's pages 2007 for the last week in September!!

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was Tuckton to sit in the shade and eat lunch with just my mum, as Trish was unable to come due to the delay in getting a new run for her chickens, which was ready today, so they were unable to join us.
After lunch we went to Mudeford Quay, where we were unable to get a seasward view with all the crowds that had gone there! so I set up my scope looking at the incoming tide, watching for the birds that were around, I did see what appeared to be 9 possible godwits (Blacktailed I think,) but everytime I got one it view the people would all walk in front of the finder! I think the world and their dogs had decided that the weather was so good they took their dogs out and into the water most went! Talk about making life hard, I did see 2 redshanks, 2 little egrets, in the distance plenty of little grebes, mallard ducks, Coot, moorhen, swans and cormorants, not to mention the thousands of Blackheaded Gulls!!! A fair number of oystercatchers were in easy view and their calls were delightful, just a shame that I couldn't get very close without hauling out the chariot, and the fact that the nearest seat was occupied for a long time, so I didn't get to sit very easily, that by the time I got the opportunity I almost fell down into it! Not easy getting the scope set up holding two walking sticks at the same time, but I determined to try using my legs while I can. I know it will not last very long and I will be back in the chariot most of the time, but I still try to keep mobile, even if it looks ungainly.
I am still enraptured with my field of Lapwings during the week so this didn't seem such a special day, despite my effort, but the joy my mum had made it all worthwhile. We took her home and she was exhausted, but she is getting stronger every day and looking forward to getting rid of the walking frame that we both detest so much! How much better she is is like the day I brought her down on Christmas Eve last when she looked so old and frail, now she is looking much stronger and fitter, despite the fall and breaking her hip, and the months in and out of the various hospitals. I am so glad to say she is back enjoying life once more. We also get on better nowadays, since she stopped the alcohol intake she is a lovely person now.

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Update information Reply with quote

This year I will be having my garden dug up by the sewerage authority, we have had to put up with the roads around us closed for the updating throuought the village, we had one road closed for a month before christmas, then two weeks before Christmas they have closed the main through road leading to the nearest town. Now we have all the through traffic driving like madmen past our house because the route forced on them is at least a 6 mile detour! Wonderful Rolling Eyes
Come April, (planting out time) they are going to dig a trench across the bottom half of the garden laying the main sewerage pipe right through my raised vegetable patch. Asparagus is due for picking at this time, in the raised bed, and they want to go across it then!! Shocked
This is bad, but then they are also going to cut right through from the back door, (under the patio where my greenhouses are) down through the garden, under the kiwi fruit and clematis arbour, through the hedge dividing the top from the bottom of the plot. Now I wonder if they are going to use a digger or do it by hand? My guess is it will be digger, which means the acer bed will be decimated, along with my Hibiscus Syriacus collection, Dear God please help me? I know they promise to put everything back as it was, but realistically can they? They would need to have the landscapers in before they dig and after to re-instate all the plants. I certainly don't envy them putting all back as before at the bottom end, as it is 18 inches of hardcore under the grass!
I have already got my friend to help remove the good soil in the raised bed away to safety so I can put that back as soon as possible. But what to do about my usual vegetable growing? I guess I am going to have to put everything in pots and water constantly. How I am dreading this spring. Evil or Very Mad
There is about to be a building site all over the garden, no where to sit to escape this upheaval, and I can see chaos with the grandchildren wanting to play. Oh dear. Anyone able to make suggestions, I would welcome any ideas.

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday I decided totake a look down the garden, inside the greenhouses the plants seem to have survived the winter so far, and the Sweetpeas that failed to do anything last summer have grown nicely and are about three feet tall (no flowers as such) but promise a good early show, as they do look very healthy.
I also did some weeding alongside the fence that the pipeline is to go through, and found the couch grass romping away through everything, so I took a ten minute grab and pull session, before wandering off to do something at a differrent level, tidied up quite a swathe from top of garden to the strip of hedge, so cleared out a nice bit.
Plants now starting to open into flower with Viburnum BurkwoodiiHammamellis Witch Hazel, Primroses flowering ouut on the bank outside the garden, not as prolific as down the road, where it is just a complete cover, just like I used to have before somebody tried to pull them up during the dry season, lost almost all then, so I have added as many as I can, but still not the same.
I can see five specie crocus in bud and snowdrops about three inches high with their little white buds showing, the Lonicera Purpussii winter flowering honeysuckle have been going well in the front garden but the back garden ones are about a month behind, so I get a double whammy! Great! The purple Primula Wanda now flowering so places in the garden showing signs Joys to come, daffodills already being bud nicked by possibly slugs or snails, three totally munched already, and I only noticed them Today!
The Water company came out today, wanting to place markers where they are going to dig, confirmed my worst nightmare, they are going right alongside the fence, where I have just weeded, and will have to dig up everything along there, all three of my Jasmines, all my variagated conifers, Dutzia, Frosythia, Camelias, Spindle trees, all about three years old now, and right through my Benched arbour, meaning they dig up, 2 Kiwi fruit vines, three different Clematis Montana White, Pink, and mauve, and my Dr Rupple clematis, not to mention the other two species honeysuckle, all on a frame, which when lifted will fall to pieces. Then they have to go through the hedge (where the little birds nest in sequence from March to August, even as late as September) the main plant being the Hawthorn bush, and my late father in laws White Rose. I dread to think how much damage that will do.
The part that comes across the plot will go straight through threequarters of my vegetable plot, thankfully not through the asparagus bed, but I can see the soil being spoilt or mixed with poor soil so my veg patch will take another twelve years to sort out! Depressed
Looks like I have a mountain of veg to plant in pots this year if I am to get anything from my garden! Pity they ain't gonna get the troublesome Potato plot of the neighbours, if they had gone through that I would have been delighted as my Tomato crop may well have been the best crop ever! Whistle
Now I know I am being naughty, but it really would have helped in the long run too, as they would have had to leave the plot fallow, thereby reducing the Blight Spoors by half for next summer! Mad because they will have all their veg unharmed! Boo hoo!
How is it that I have all the rotten luck? I feel like Job must have felt when being tested by God, still it is his plan that I have to suffer this trouble, hope it makes me a better person for it! Rolling Eyes

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: I can honestly say Reply with quote

Dear Friends and birdlovers, I have finally decided I am no longer going to struggle with my old PC, it has now gone to the PC dead zone, as it was more trouble than it was worth, I now have a new PC with the (dreaded, all singing and dancing Vista) no longer able to get XP, but I have managed to rescue the office 2003 package as the 2007 is abominable, I have to contend with it at work, but I can honestly say it is the worst program ever!
My home is now covered with networked computers that are singing sweetly with myself and my eldest and one grand child all tapping away merrily! I will be sorting out pictures to show the damage done with the first time sewerage going in, so far is has been 11 months and likely to be another 6 yet!!! I will be having to put in compensation claims for the plants broken off at the roots with a digger running over them, pictures to follow later when I have discovered how to use this new Vista version!

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nina - and welcome back. Smile Good luck with Vista - I'm hoping to avoid it for some time yet!!!

11 months - and still 6 more to go???? Shocked Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Have a few of these. Wine

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nina - your sorted with the pcs then! Looking forward to the pics!!!

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Damage done to my patch Reply with quote

I was dissappointed with what the "Gardeners did and their 'rectification' they will never set foot on my garden again" My husband allowed them to put soil down for my veg patch, I don't know if it is organic as he has no idea what I am on about! Evil or Very Mad

My penstemmon bed
My penstemmon bed
Poster: Nina, viewed 61 Time(s)

This is what the digger ran right over, flattening my roses and where the penstemmons (named varieties) have no ide which are which now as the labels were left in the ground and the tubs they had been put in had no labels. What a waste of 65 on my plants, I have heard nothing from them since, despite my complaint over their workmanship.

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It now looke like this.

the revived border now
the revived border now
Poster: Nina, viewed 52 Time(s)

I think it is starting to look better now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: