The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

My Garden aspirations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
badgerwatcher

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Nina.
I've just discovered a Daphne, think it's Odora, I've been looking in my books, didn't know it was there until it came into heavenly scented flower by the front steps last week. A lovely surprise! This garden is full of surprises. Laughing

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything from Nina? I'm getting no replies to e-mails. Rolling Eyes

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Daphne Odora V Daphne Bholua 'Jacqueline Postill Reply with quote

That sounds delightful Geraldine, I did have a Daphne Odora Auriomarginata, which was really delightful under the kitchen window as it flowered prolifically from Christmas into March, that was until last winter when it just keeled over DEAD! I was so upset, as I can only assume it had reached the end of it's natural life as there was no warning, it just died without a whimper of not being well, one day it was fine the next it had drooped and died.
In this edition (January) of gardeners world they have a picture of Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' which looks wonderful, this is described as the easiest of the Daphnes to grow, in a sheltered position by a south facing wall, exactly where I had mine growing. I had heard they were prone to just suddenly die, so if you can, PLEASE, can you layer a cutting for me? I would so love to have one back in the garden, only I am loath to pay the prices charged by garden centres!! The last two I bought cost around 5 each and I lost both in the same year, one little cutting and one adult plant which I had had for sevreral years. Embarassed
Well I have several plans going on for this year, one is to open my own stall in WImborne Market on Saturday Mornings selling the jewellery and cards I have made, but the cards are very different from those you pay a fortune for in the big stores, these cards you can choose your own border from the stock of borders I have to show, your own picture from all the pictures I have which are stored on my laptop, then you can chose your own words to put into the card, using any style of writing I can access on the computer, and verses that I have made up or those the customer wants used. This I believe will be something not done before, so I hope it goes down well and I end up coming off benefits, as no body seems interested in giving me employment, looks like I will have to make my own employability! Laughing
If any of you are in Dorset on a Saturday morning and like going around the markets, do see if I have finally got myself up and running, it would be nice to see anyone from this forum! Don't forget to make yourself known to me, eh? Cool

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nina.
I'll try and layer you some cuttings of the Daphne. It's a mass of flowers now. In old gardening books they mention it as being very hard to grow, so I'm hoping it lasts. It looks well established.

If we find ourselves in your neck of the woods, we'll let you know. We are sometimes down that way.

I do hope your card stall takes off. Do they do craft fairs round your way?

I am sitting in my sun room with my laptop, with all the lights out, and the outside lights on, and outside is a very nice, clean and fluffy badger eating peanuts just under the window. Two beautiful foxes keep nipping down the path to join him, but if they catch my eye, they dash off up the slope. It's ok as long as we don't make eye contact. The badger, which is quite a young one, couldn't care less!
Glad you're ok. Laughing

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geraldine,
There are craft fairs, but I need to have power for the printer more than anything! The craft fairs here are power less!! I am hoping to get the market stall going on the 24th Feb, in Wimborne Market, so I pick up on the Mothers Day and Easter, but I can also put anyones photograph onto a card if they so wish, by scanning it into the laptop and then adjusting the picture to make the card with, (which is an art form in itself as it is rather tricky to do, and can sometimes take ages! One day I will remember how I did it on every occasion!!
Sorry I will be away again tomorrow as we still have some packing to do, so I am driving my sister to mums old house, to hopefully get the last bits done for the move the following weekend! Don't panic if I don't get on here as often as I would like, as it seems I am about to do an IT course, really to prove I am able to do the things I know I can with the computer. Frustrating as I have been self taught the employers want that bit of paper just to satisfy their ignorant selves!
I have been reading about the beastly Magpie and his killing of the poor Chaffinch, sadly those around my garden have suffered from the Greenfinch virus and their numbers have been decimated, as for the bullfinches, I haven't had one around now for two years Crying or Very sad The Goldfinches seem to have avoided the finch virus as the are in good numbers. Do you put out scraps for the Magpie? I was wondering if you fed them then, hopefully they wouldn't be attacking the smaller birds. Magpies around here are often killed or trapped, which really grieves me as human intervention is so un-neccesary, each creature has its place in the whole plan of nature, even if it seems cruel to us, look at what mans intervention has done to the world!! Razz I am intrigued as to what type of bush this is where you have hung your feeders, I must admit to having most feeders in a fairly open position, specially for the fact of the hawks that are so prevalent. I get Mrs Kestrel as a frquent hoverer over the hazel bush at the very bottom of the plot, Mr Sparrow Hawk has a nasty habit of scrambling all over the fine tracery of the branches of my Autumn Gold Acer, he really makes a mess of this delightful small tree, not to mention how stupid and awkward he looks as he scrabbles around after the small birds! He is the most clumsy bird I have ever known! He has crash landed into the base of the bird table after he tried to get one of the chaffinches just behind me, the thud made me look round to see him shake himself down look me in the eye and take off over the house! That gave me a good giggle! The little Chaffinch got clean away! Very Happy The stupid bird often crashes into the living room window as he tries to catch any bird in the front garden, there is no reason why he hits the window other than he is a clumsy bird, his mate is very different, she is like a deadly whisper, as she has taken a wood pigeon from right behind my back, the woodpigeon had been less than a foot away from me when it got caught! I never knew about it until a few days later, when the neighbour said about it, how he and his neighbour saw the whole thing, he thought I knew, but I never heard a thing!
There was great amusement last summer as the Greater Spotted Woodpecker babies arrived at the feeding station, one of them decided to hang on the bottom of the fanlight window and tried begging to be fed there on at least three occasions, but it had to go onto the Oak tree opposite to be fed. Silly
Oh well, really time for me to be getting to bed, had several bad nights lately (the wind in the ash tree outside my bedroom window has been shedding great limbs, and the stuff keeps hitting the window in the gales, I am very surprised it hasn't fallen onto the house by now! Preservation order means danger for the occupants of this house, specially in a south westerly after much rain! There was a weather warning out for everyone on the Cranborne Chase, that the land is now saturated and the trees sitting in the clay band on the chalk underlayer, means that any trees are likely to go at any time. Do I feel vulnerable? Too right!! I am actually glad I am going to get away from here for a couple of days, then perhaps the ground may get a chance to dry out a bit.
Oh well I will sign off for now, catch you all again sometime soon!

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nina, and anyone else who can help with plant I.D.'s Laughing
I will try to attach three plant photos. The first is what I think is Daphne Odora, the second and third are the bushes I have hung lots of bird feeders inside, the second I haven't a clue about, the third I think is some sort of bush honeysuckle and yesterday was covered in bees.

Yellow-flower-on-feeder-bus.jpg
Don't know!
85.36 KB, Viewed 397 Time(s)

honeysuckle-bush-web.jpg
Honeysuckle?
183.91 KB, Viewed 404 Time(s)

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first one didn't load. I'll try again.

Daphne 2-jan-2007-web.jpg
221.43 KB, Viewed 378 Time(s)

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nina, Now I've done the stressful bit, uploading plant pics for you to look at, I can reply to you. Laughing I hope you survive the moving of your Mum without too many frayed nerves!
I'll try feeding the magpies. Good idea.
That's another creature to feed! I'm already, apart from filling the bird feeders every day, and fat blocks, etc, spreading trails of peanuts, seeds, bread and fruit for any ground feeding birds, and badgers and foxes, putting out tit-bits for the foxes with sarcoptic mange homoeopathic remedy on it as I've seen one or two older ones who are a bit 'moth-eaten', and making peanut butter sandwiches, which I put, along with eggs, down the Sett entrances to help the diet of any pregnant badgers!
Soon I'll have to give up work, as I'm finding I've hardly time. Very Happy I haven't had so much fun in my life before!
I've also a really short stemmed iris which is flowering prolifically by my front door. I'll try and post a picture in case anyone can help me with the variety, and tell me if I can buy other winter flowering irise as it is lovely!

iris-jan-2007-web.jpg
195.67 KB, Viewed 366 Time(s)

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago, an iris suddenly appeared outside the kitchen window, and I thought it usually flowered in the spring - but it's already bloomed and faded away this year. Could yours be confused about the weather, and is not really a winter flowering iris?

I found some info here:

http://www.blueworldgardener.co.uk/articles/winter_flowering_bulbs.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/5166.shtml

The iris shown in the pic on the BBC site is different in colour from yours - but it does say that the colours can vary quite a lot.

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right, Elizabeth, although I don't know when it normally flowers having only just moved here. I'm sure the link is right, iris reticulata, thank you.
Each flower only lasts a day, and it has had two or three flowers a day now for a couple of weeks. I've never seen such enthusiasm from an iris. They are very short stemmed. It is in a sheltered position, against a west facing wall, next to a south facing wall, just by our front door, so quite a cosy spot for it.
it's very pretty. There are also lots of red berry seed pods splitting open, on the same plant. (It is not a big clump!)

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Aunt (who lives in West Sussex) has three of these flowering outside her flat - they look great in all the dreary grey days we've been having Very Happy

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
badgerwatcher

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's great, Tricia. So if they're supposed to flower now, I must get more. As you, say, they're so cheerful! Laughing

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've found out what the mystery shrub is, by dint of laboriously going through shrub books peering at the pictures! I think it's a Cornus mas, or Cornelian Cherry. This tells me nothing, as I've never heard of it, so I wait eagerly to see what it does through the year.
If anyone knows if and when I should cut it back or anything, I'd be grateful. Laughing

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badgerwatcher wrote:

If anyone knows if and when I should cut it back or anything, I'd be grateful. Laughing

Have a look at this:

http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/garden/nature_200_070.htm

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one. Thank you Elizabeth.
I'm glad it's a good wildlife tree. And you can eat the fruits, it says. I'll wait and see! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: