The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Rats - help please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Rats - help please! Reply with quote

Hello, does anyone else have a rat problem feeding birds? I am very careful with foods I put out for birds and have trays beneath the feeders to catch any bits that might drop so that very little ever reaches the ground. Also have a squirrel baffle to prevent anything climbing to reach the food other than flying. But, I am having daily visits from two rats (look like babies). Have also once seen an adult. They don't seem to find food and have tried without success to get to the table/feeders. However, all I am being told is to stop feeding the birds!!! This I hate the thought of. I have put out humane rat traps and also a bait box. These are being ignored! Any ideas to deter these pesky creatures without stopping feeding my birds?
I believe they are nesting in my neighbours garden as that is the way they run when disturbed. My neighbours garden is overgrown and has decking around their sort of conservatory. I don't know them very well as they are very private almost reclusive people and don't feel I can bluntly ask if they have noticed rats. Any help would be appreciated. If I have to stop feeding the birds I will, but it is not something I want to do.
Thank you
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue
Yes, it is a bit of a puzzler. Probably appearing as you say due to the neighbours garden and the fact that the wet weather we have had this year has forced them to come into gardens searching for food.

My only suggestion would be to try one of the rodent scare off gadgets or sprays that you can buy. Try Amazon they have a good selection and you might find one to suit your needs.

No bird viewings here yet I'm afraid and thankfully no Rats!!

Good luck
Kathy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy, thank you for your suggestions will get on to Amazon right away. Good luck with the coming season. Not had a lot of interest in my boxes yes. The rooster still coming every night so don't think that box will get used 😞, and had a couple of visits to my other boxes but nothing happening yet, also the only one I have a camera in is the one with the rooster. Just have to wait and see what the spring will bring. Take care and thanks again.
Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nature Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: