The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Garden birds 2014 summary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Garden birds 2014 summary Reply with quote

Not sure how this compares with other’s experience but in the course of 2014 I recorded twenty three species as visiting the gardens in Meltham and for the past two months in Brierfield, Nelson. Another seven species were observed from the gardens and in addition Tawny Owl and Cuckoo made themselves heard.

Regularly seen in both gardens are blackbird, blue tit, coal tit, collared dove, dunnock, great tit, house sparrow, magpie, robin, starling, whilst occasional visitors in both gardens are the Chaffinch, long tailed tit and wren.

In Meltham I had regular visits from feral pigeons, wood pigeons, jackdaws and rooks . All four can be seen around about but only the wood pigeon has been seen to actually come down into in the garden.

Of the birds seen in Meltham but not here so far, Goldfinches came regularly for sunflower hearts and I saw Sparrowhawk and Greenfinch in three months with the Pied Wagtail although frequently seen around the village , only in July in the garden and Nuthatch with one appearance in August.

The fly past and roof top brigade, include black headed and lesser black backed gulls, a buzzard, grey heron, with some unidentified geese and some mallard, all in Meltham. Of these only the black headed gulls are seen in this area, with almost daily appearances overhead. The summer months saw House Martins, Swallows and Swifts all flying close to the garden in Meltham

So far I have not got round to drawing up a Meltham all time list but I aim to complete that task in the coming months. In the meantime I enjoy my almost daily visits from the ground crew (robin, dunnock and blackbird) and on the feeders, the tits (great blue and coal) and the starlings which major on the fatballs and when available the dried mealworms with collared doves coming regularly but not appearing to feed.

I see a squirrel from time to time and it goes onto the bird table and feeding tray and takes peanuts from the mesh tube…if that is the extent of its deprivations I shall not worry too much ….but as the starlings are the only birds to touch the mealworms I think their provision will be discontinued…..much too expensive simply as Starling fodder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Visitors All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: