The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Recording device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Recording device Reply with quote

Hi
Can anyone advise or recommend please?

I am looking to purchase a new recording unit which I can programme to record throughout the day now we are approaching nesting time.
The one I have at the moment is unreliable bought from Handykam. It has never had any instructions on how to use it and despite several attempts to sort out my problems with the company, without success, I have now decided to put it in the skip!.
I would also prefer to have a unit which will have a movement sensor on it and if possible a facility where I can transfer the recordings to a disc to have a record of yearly events but this is not essential.

I have 2 boxes one wired and the other wireless. They are viewed through a computer monitor screen via the unit. I do not have CCTV focused on my boxes but might like to progress to this at a later date.
I am a complete technophobe so simplicity is the key. If anyone could suggest the name of a system not too complicated I can then begin to check out its suitability. Your suggestions much appreciated
Kathy
ornithopod

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

I'm afraid my knowledge of modern devices and the methods of attaching them are minimal. However, I am surprised that you cannot get your Handicam set-up to work as several members of this site use their kit successfully.

We still use the techniques we started off with - video capture cards plugged into the motherboard in my PC and attached by cable to bog-standard CCTV cameras, all managed by the excellent software from iCatcher as described on our web site's technical pages.

Can any other Handicam user offer any suggestions?

Our Bluetit Diary can be found at http://www.biggonline.co.uk
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm
Thanks for your reply. The Handykam unit worked ok to start with but after a while decided to work when it felt like it and often finished recording earlier than it was programmed to. Unfortunately with having no instructions for it I couldn't work out what was wrong. The company couldn't help by producing a set up leaflet,they said they were still working on it! I have heard nothing since. I could not return it until the nestling had finished and I wanted to try and remove the footage before I returned it. I am still using it, but not happy as it is still playing up.

I have looked at iCatcher and are impressed with your quality pictures. However, I wanted to avoid using my computer as the hard drive gets clogged up with all the files and this was why I switched to a different system.
I hope someone on the forum might be able to help as you say.
Thanks anyway and good luck with your nests I am watching!!!!

Kathy
hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy

I have just bought a Euresys Picolo Junior 4 for $40 from ebay.

I was using 3 seperate ezcaps (it crashed with 4) that were eating up bandwidth and memory on my computer.

Having read up on this card (I think Elizabeth and Malcolm also use one) it is compatible with my computer.

Haven't installed it yet but have downloaded all the instructions, so fingers crossed.

I also have i-Catcher console software for 4 cameras.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Helen - hope all goes well!

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Helen thanks for your suggestion.

Since my post my hubby has bought me a Swann recorder with 2 CCT camera's which can be mounted on an outside wall to view the comings and goings of birds in my two wall boxes. My Handykam cameras have worked fine so they are still installed. The system also has the facility to watch remotely by sending an email alert, but I probably won't have the need for this.

This system was bought from Maplin Electronics. It is possible to remove all footage required to a disc via my computer so that I can keep for records, but does not tie up my computer all day, this was what I was trying to avoid ( I use my machine for business) I am looking forward to seeing it in operation now!. Suffice to say the Handykam recorder has gone for recycling.!!!!

I hope you are happy with your system and that you get a nest this year-we are still waiting for some action. I have my rooster but it's too cold yet for nest building here plus the oak trees are not bursting yet either.

Elizabeth
I see that you have quite a bit of interest in Box 3 this year-hope it develops into a hat trick for you. It will make interesting viewing!!!
Good luck
Kathy

Last edited by blueeyedchick on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blue eyed chick,

This is an old thread but I think you have the device I am looking for?

I am looking for a digital recording device that is independent of a computer during the day time when I'm not there. I do not want to leave a computer or laptop on all day.

I'm finding it very difficult to find an answer on this and then I came across this thread that might answer the three questions I've been asking..

1. Can you confirm for me that this Swann digital recording system can record the activity in a birdbox and you don't need it hooked up to a computer for it to work ?

2. Can you access images remotely on your mobile phone or work laptop?

3. Does this device definitely have motion detection software to pick up and record the birds activity?

Many thanks!

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GBH

I have clarified my answers with hubby and they are as follows-
1) Yes, the unit can record independently of a computer.
The recorder can be set-up to record motion coming in and out of the nest box. When a bird lands on the nest hole the little camera you have installed inside picks up the motion which then sets the recorder off and records the action. This then creates a 'time of day file'; then with the aid of a mouse & mat you can re-view what has happened during the day. I view the recordings via a cheap monitor also bought from Maplin but think you could also use your T.V?

2) Not really sure how this remote viewing works to be honest as we have no need of the facility so didn't look into it or how to save footage to a disc. Obviously there has to be some internet connection in the home for this to work. You may need some extra kit to do this?

Like all machines of this type the unit requires detailed set up within the recorder memory system to achieve what results you want.

3) Yes it does.

Best advice I can give if you are keen on this outfit is to check out Swann kits on Maplin website, something similar to mine is about £350.00, and contact them to see how you can do this, unfortunately I have mislaid the instructions to ours! I am extremely chuffed with mine and once installed and set up we can leave it alone and forget about it. Brilliant!!

Let me know how you get on or if you have any further questions.

Best of luck for this year!
Kathy Very Happy

Last edited by blueeyedchick on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! That is so helpful.

And since seeing your Swann one, I have looked into it much more...and these devices are everywhere!!!

Argos, Amazon and even our local electronics shop!!

I think I just didn't have the right terminology to explain what I was looking for...this appears to be exactly the device that will do what I want, which was:

"A digital video recording device with at least 1TB of memory on a pre-installed harddrive, that has motion detection capabilities. It can also be connected via ethernet to your Internet router so you can access live footage and receive text alerts for when the camera picks up activity. Also that it has VGA and HDMI connection for use with TV or a computer monitor. And finally that it has a USB port where you can download files etc or connect up to your computer. "

I believe this does everything...so thank you!!!

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GBH
I thought I may have complicated my answer to you so edited it Think but it seems that you know what you are doing and you have given me some info too which I wasn't up to speed with.
Anyway hope you decide to purchase a set up and that you get a nest this season. Good luck with it -let us know any developments.
My bird has been in to the box three times this morning so I am very hopeful she will start nesting soon. Fingers crossed

Kathy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Webcams All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: