The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Hello everyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plover

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Hello everyone Reply with quote

Hi there

Hello once more

My name is Kathy. I am 56 years old and come form Bedford. I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and moved with me OH to Bedford in 2007

I have not been on this Forum for a long time, and now is the time to get back and chat with everyone once more.

Look forward to getting to know you all and talk 'birds' Very Happy

Regards
Kathy
x

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kathy, good to see someone on here. Very quiet at the moment. Looks as though a nest has started in Elizabeth's box 2, but can't be much happening elsewhere as the bird box stream on the forums is just not happening at the moment. Give it a couple of weeks and hopefully things will be a lot more exciting.
Take care
Sue
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kathy - sorry I didn't reply sooner! Thursday is a hectic day - and Friday is recovery day!!!

Yes Sue - things are getting going in Box 2 - I was watching the play back a few hours ago - nesting wriggles - and a few VERY brief inspection visits by her partner (I presume).
I saved a few pics,, so I'll get some posted soon. Fingers crossed

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone Very Happy

Look forward to posting on here, aand talk all about birds in al of their forms.

Regards
Kathy
x

A8NY

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Re visit A8NY Reply with quote

Hi all
I am also a returning amature BLue Tit lover
It's been a while since I posted and I have been enjoying the camera box in my garden in Birmingham for about 6 years with quite a bit of success

Year 1 was the best had 9 eggs and 4 fledged Very Happy
Year 2 10 eggs and 2 fledged
Year 3 9 eggs 3 fledged
Year 4 11 eggs all hatched 4 got to about 15 days then all died
Last year it all went a bit wrong 10 eggs 10 hatched but then 24 hrs after all 10 had died I couldn't understand this
I read up a bit on the box condition and decided to have a real good clean out as it seemed that maybe an insect infestation could have been my problem

That said in January 15 I took the nest box down washed it in and out as best I could and I used white vinegar as an anti insect repellant hoping it would not effect or detract any birds ???
I have had some external interest since this in the mornings from a few birds pecking at the entrance but I have not seen any enter the box as yet
BUT it's March 21 now and I have not got any sign of any nesting material in the box not even a blade of grass
Q should I be concerned does any one think the vinegar was a bad idea could I still get visitors this year
I really enjoy watching the whole sequence and would appreciate any feed back
Thanking you all in advance
A8NY
Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi A8NY - welcome back!

Hopefully you didn't use neat vinegar to sanitise your box? As a safeguard it's not too late to give it a good rinse with hot water - you should be able to smell any residual vinegar.

I think any nests started recently are a bit on the early side - I've never had had any building earlier than April and I'm about the same latitude as you.

Rather surprised that you are not getting more to fledge from your good sized clutches - are you making mealworms available from about 4 days' old.

Last year I think there was quite a varied survival rate, maybe due to the unpredictable weather conditions throughout the country.

Anyway best of luck for this year.
Beechnut

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kathy welcome back.

Looking forward to your posts over the next couple of months or so, and good luck for 2015.

Hope you didn't mind me using your thread to reply to A8NY. Embarassed
wiggydave10

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi A8NY and Beechnut,

Like Beechnut said I haven't had a nest start yet. I am slightly south of you guys but they have been looking around.
Just need to wait and see what happens.

Thanks,
wiggydave10
A8NY

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thank you for the swift response
I used heavily diluted vinegar probably 10-1
There is definitely no linger of odour of the vinegar
As I type I have interest in the best box so perhaps should leave well alone this year?
I'm grateful for the advice and knowing I'm not late with visitors would encourage me again this year
I have a well stocked garden with many birds and lots if yew tree area with spiders and caterpillars I do put out meal worms but dried (are these ok)
Thanks again
A8NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: