The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Holkham, Norfolk.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Holkham, Norfolk. Reply with quote

Holkham, Norfolk.

This is a bit of an undertaking for me...but i'll give it a bash!

1. Lady Anne's drive. Shhhh.. get here before 8am and you will avoid paying the 3 parking fee. There are no toilets and occasionally only an ice cream van for refreshments....poor show for 3.
2.At this time of year you will see and hear the Geese. Thousands of Pinkfeet and a few hundred White fronts. There's always a chance of something rare amongst the throng. Last winter there was a Snow Goose. Red breasted Goose and Bean Goose have been noted too.
3.Washington Hide, overlooks the marsh area and over some ponds. You can be looking directly into the sun on some clear winter mornings, so birds are frustratingly silhouetted. But from here on, along the track, is usually where the small migrants are most often found.
4. This area behind the 'new' dunes is where the flocks of Snow Buntings and Shorelarks are usually found.
Check for Twite and Lapland Buntings too.
5. Stand on the new dunes and do some seawatching. Rafts of Common Scoter are impressive. Velvet Scoter and Eider are seen too, along with Divers and Grebes.
6. Meols House. Good garden for small stuff, plenty of suitable trees around here too.
7. Joe Jordan Hide. Looks out onto the Geese grazing area.
But the cross tracks area behind the hide (either side of the small belt of Pine trees) have proven to be the hotspot for small migrants in recent years. I've seen Pallas's Leaf Warbler, Yellow browed Warbler and Firecrest here. Bonelli's Warbler and Red breasted Flycatcher have been seen too. Heaven knows what you might see!!
Pin back your eyes and keep your ears peeled.
8. Beware Nudists. Shocked
9. End of Holkham Pines and onto Burnham Overy Dunes. Birds seen here recently this Autumn; Red throated Pipit, Richard's Pipit, Wryneck, Barred Warbler, Red breasted Flycatcher and plenty of Wheatears, Whinchats, Stonechats, Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers.
Appetites whetted enough?
10.You can walk along the track to Wells Wood too. This is also good for migrants and is probably under watched. I've often found Common Crossbills on this side of Lady Anne's drive. At Wells Wood there are some toilets, but they're none too salubrious!

'Holkham' if done properly is a full day out. You will be knackered at the end of the day, but you will also be buzzing from what's been seen and heard. You'll certainly wanna come back.
It is my favourite spot on the North Norfolk coast, due probably to the diversity of birdlife there.

dave...
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hope its not raining!!!
I went there for my first time last year and it rained for 6 hours...guess what I saw Ducks and Geese and Goldies!!! It was too bad even for Sea birds!!
I was drenched!! Rolling Eyes
Hopefully this Saturday if we get there it will be better!!

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Darth Vader

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holkham is a must see place, you can also walk all the way to Wells if you turn right on the way in. The Red-breasted Nutchatch that Dave mentioned was there all winter from October through to April or May I believe. There is a small pool called funnily enough the Drinking Pool, it's somewhere in the trees can't remember exactly but it can be good for birds such as Crossbills if there are any.

Burham Overy dunes also played host to a Siberian Thrush one Sunday afternoon a few years ago.
joshjenkinsshaw

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: holkham Reply with quote

i went very recently and saw 3 marsh harriers which was a 1st for me it was great
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/TDvQAGzW43o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Places to Visit All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: