The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Scribbles Garden

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scribbles

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Scribbles Garden Reply with quote

These are some photos of our garden taken this year.
The concrete pond was here when we moved in, but it was surrounded by small paving stones two deep, so it looked too unnatural for our taste. I moved a few of them so that plants could overhang the pond instead and my husband connected a small header pool to it, for running water and for the birds to drink from and bath in.

Garden 1
Garden 1
Poster: Scribbles, viewed 16 Time(s)

The garden was a mess when we moved in - the grass was 2' high, two straight borders with nothing much in them, so it needed a lot of work on it. Apart from the fences, the curved path and the transplantation of the little, weeping copper beech tree (which we brought with us), all being done by a local firm .... the rest of the garden we did ourselves. Hating straight lines ..... I made a curvy lawn, laying a hosepipe on it as a template before cutting it out!

Garden 2
Garden 2
Poster: Scribbles, viewed 15 Time(s)

At the bottom of the garden, behind the big shed, I made a "frog rockery" ...... just a pile of big stones in a heap about 2' high. Lots of spaces and little holes between them for frogs to hibernate in and keep snug in the Winter.

Garden 3
Garden 3
Poster: Scribbles, viewed 21 Time(s)
Scribbles

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate bare fences, so I planted ivy to cover them, as some of my bushes are slow growing ...... lots of ladybirds and pretty garden spiders like to live there and it provided cover for the blue tit chicks, just after they left the nesting box in 2011.

Garden 4
Garden 4
Poster: Scribbles, viewed 16 Time(s)

The hosepipe down the steps, along the edge of the patio, then goes up and over the little wall behind the potted plants and lays on top of the soil where the ivy is planted. It then "turns left"and goes behind the wall, then down into the main garden to connect to our water jet Scarecrow. As mentioned in another thread, it's the Scarecrow which protects the nesting box, bird feeders and pond from predatory cats! It also protects my lovely frogs, when the female decides she wants to get out of the pond for a bit, but a flipping male is hanging on for dear life on her back. This is one situation when she can't hop out of the way quickly if a cat looms!

Garden 5
Garden 5
Poster: Scribbles, viewed 14 Time(s)

Our garden seat and table ...... where we have a birds eye view of the nesting box and all the coming and goings, plus numerous cups of coffee!

Garden 6
Garden 6
Poster: Scribbles, viewed 15 Time(s)

Diane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: