The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Better late than never

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scribbles

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Better late than never Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

To be honest, I have been a "guest lurker" for quite some time.
My first visit was to follow the long (and heartbreaking Crying or Very sad ) saga of the orphaned blue tits, which a member and her husband tried to nurture themselves.

My Big Bruv, Alan aka Scribe ...... (who insists on calling me his skin & blister! Rolling Eyes ) told me about it and then I was hooked.

After receiving an email from him re a cat problem, I thought I'd register, but I didn't have the time to introduce myself.

I love frogs as much as birds though, so I have to be careful where I put my feet when I'm gardening ..... particularly when tiny froglets are around too.

My other hobby is Genealogy .... I started researching our family history in 1994 and I'm still at it.

Diane
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diane
What a coincidence I have been researching since 1985 before the internet, how difficult it was then! I have reached 1690 but are now stumped through lack of baptism record!
I have done a few trees for friends and neighbours also a correspondence course, talks for charity and I am a transcriber for FreeBMD - no doubt you will know of this site?
By the way no cats this morning I wonder if they have heard our conversations? Notice the Blue Tits are getting frisky in the sunshine.

Kathy
Scribbles

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

WooHoo Thumbs up ..... another "genie nutter" like me! My maternal Ancestors were all born in the West Riding of Yorkshire back to 1580, so I went to Wakefield Archives every week from 1994 until 1999 when we left the area, then I got my first computer. As you know, Ancestry have uploaded the actual images for the WR, so I can now find all the records I didn't manage to get.

Like you, I've done a few trees for friends and our son-in-law ..... it's a very addictive hobby. Yes, I use FreeBMD quite a lot and possibly you are a member of other sites too - British-Genealogy Forums?

When I've fished out how to upload photos on here, I'll put some piccies on of our garden in the correct section of course, my cat fortifications in our front garden and a few of blue tits which we were lucky enough to see leave the nest. We don't have a camera in the box by choice, as it has been used every year since we moved here in 2008 and knowing my luck, if we bought one, they wouldn't come again! Crying or Very sad

Diane
Scribbles

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

I managed to upload 3 photos of cat fortifications to the Garden Habitat album (I think!)

Definitely saw them on this site in random pictures after I'd done them ..... but I can't find them now, so don't know where they are!

Diane
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribbles wrote:
Hi Kathy,

I managed to upload 3 photos of cat fortifications to the Garden Habitat album (I think!)

Definitely saw them on this site in random pictures after I'd done them ..... but I can't find them now, so don't know where they are!

Diane

Hi Diane, and welcome to the Forum.

Click on Profile at the bottom left of your post and you'll find under All About Scribbles a link to All pictures by Scribbles. (They are in the Garden Habitat category).

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elizabeth,

Many thanks for telling me where the photos went! Very Happy
This morning, I found the answer to what I really wanted to do in the FAQ section, so I will have an attempt at doing it in a minute.
All the Groups I'm a member of, all have different ways of putting photos into messages, so just a case of finding out how each one does it.

For example, in my private Genealogy Group which I started, members create albums, then upload photos into them. In a message, to show a photo, they just click an icon to their album list, choose which album and then click on a thumbnail piccie ..... which shows at a normal size in the message body.

Diane
Scribbles

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get piccies on here for Kathy to look at, so I hope it works.

To protect bare soil - green plastic mesh laid - it didn't work!

Cat fortifications in my front garden
Poster: Scribbles, viewed 22 Time(s)

Second attempt laying wire mesh which "rocks" when trod on, secured by pegs and some small branches thrown in for good measure.
This works ...... no cat pooh since!

Poster: Scribbles, viewed 23 Time(s)

This also works - no cat pooh since!

Poster: Scribbles, viewed 66 Time(s)

Diane
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane
Have seen your pics - you have gone to a lot of trouble by the look of it. I don't like the mess but would rather have that then the taking of birds. I just shovel it up, bag it and then dispose in dog bin across our road!

While on I-Catcher yesterday about 9.30am Elizabeth had an interested Blue Tit at Box 3. He didn't go in but was looking very interested. Elizabeth if you see this I do hope you have a nest this spring in that box. No doubt you have seen this on your replay!

A real surprise for me this morning around lunchtime a green woodpecker pecking away on the green belt that borders our Close. So shy, didn't stay long, but long enough for me to get a definite identification.

It's made my day!!

Kathy
Scribbles

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,
Lucky indeed seeing a green woodpecker, as I've never seen one at all! Crying or Very sad

Big Bruv Scribe also gets birds in his garden which I've never seen, but at least I can comfort myself with the fact that we have an established frog colony!
Scribe

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ribbit-ribbit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: