The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Caged bird feeder for Blue Tits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasmansteve

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Caged bird feeder for Blue Tits Reply with quote

I have a nest box filling up with eggs and want to be able to supply some specific feed for the birds, the only problem we have is a local colony of magpies
when we put out food such as mealworms it is gone in minutes once spotted
I am intrigued by the caged feeder on the main website and have read a number of the posts here but dont seem to be able to find a live site where I can buy a suitable feeder from
can anyone help with some suggestions
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, and welcome to the Forum.

The two caged meal worm feeders that we have used for several years seem not to be available any more. However, I've found a couple of alternative feeders that might help with your problem. (I've used "tiny" on the URLs as they were rather long).

http://tinyurl.com/cht8zbx

http://tinyurl.com/dxhf4ht

I think some of our members use similar feeders - I hope they will offer their suggestions. Smile

We use shallow dishes in our cages - and in spite of what some people say, the mealworms don't climb out, so I think the mealworms will not escape from these feeders..

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Caged bird feeder for Blue Tits Reply with quote

Thanks for that, this site seems to show the cage affair that you have but doesnt seem to have a price for it nor does it go to your basket when clicked on
might give them a ring
Sadly we have one of the domed "robin" feeders and we must have especially talented starling as no matter how low we lower the top they still seem to be able to get in Sad
hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a similar feeder with a lid, but I bought the cage as an extra by the same company, It works very well as the lid can be lowered enough to prevent robins eating all the worms and the cage prevents the starling invasions!!

CJWildlife.. I think they are an Irish company but I did a quick internet search and they seem to supply companies in England.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tracked down a caged feeder like our two:
http://www.haiths.com/Products/Live-Food-Bird-Feeder-and-Cage-WBOF01008/

I emailed them about availability, and had a prompt reply - the feeders should be in stock some time this month, so we have to keep an eye on the website.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Caged bird feeder Reply with quote

I am using these caged bird feeders which I bought from amazon, they also do them in different heights. I have found them to be really good as the bottom half unclips easily to replenish the food.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chapelwood-Squirrel-Blocking-Cage-Inch/dp/B004478PHK/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1368447677&sr=8-15&keywords=squirrel+proof+feeder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: