The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Brockholes (Lancashire etc WLT) near Preston

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Brockholes (Lancashire etc WLT) near Preston Reply with quote

The forecast was fair and we were looking for a venue within range of home. A Brockholes leaflet decided to fall out my box of leaflets, (out of hundreds of them) and it looked good so we went. Easy journey M62, M60, M61, M6 to junction 31 and we were there.
No admission charge but you pay for your parking on the way out….they claim number plate recognition is in operation but when we came to leave the machine charged us for a minimum £2, not the £4.20 we expected (£7 for a complete day) and clearly had not recognised our number plate.
We started in “the village” with a very pleasant lunch overlooking the Meadow Lake, where there were lots of Coots, a few Mallards and not very much else. From the outside viewing platform we added tufted ducks and Canada Geese and had a distant view of Great Crested Grebe…
…and so to the No 1 Pit and the hides (one under construction) . Quite unlike any other hides I had visited, they were metal built, converted from shipping containers, I think the guide said. Earlier wooden hides had sadly been burnt down..
For me the spot of the day was a Kestrel that we watched do a long descent from high above us towards the lake until we were actually looking down in its rich brown back and beautifully marked fan tail….that alone was worth the journey for me.
The site is obviously still undergoing development and will no doubt mature and increase in the variety of birds there. There was a group of five, possibly more Herons, a huge flock of Lapwings(always spectacular in flight) oh yes and a black swan. The days total haul was 29 species, of which 21 were on the Reserve. (could have been more if we had had been able to identify and include the “heards”)
The find your way round map was excellent including good clear guidance as to what would be accessible to whom, and the way marking was good once you worked out how it worked out.
Definitely worth the visit…we shall go again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Places to Visit All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: