The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

missing brood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riverblue

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: missing brood Reply with quote

I have just joined today, and need some advice. I have my first camera box and although the hen blue tit has laid 10 she was soon deserted by her mate. However she has now hatched them all from 17th May to 21st. and has been feeding them diligently.Shock Horror this morning, every chick gone. What has happened, the b ox is very well hidden. She has returned often this morning and appears to be comfortable in the nest. Will she lay another batch of eggs. Thanks for any help or advice.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Riverblue, and welcome to the Forum.

I've not heard of anything like this before, so I don't quite know what to say!

For some days after the chicks hatch out, they need their mother's warmth, and she usually broods them most of the time, relying (mainly) on the male for food for the family.

One sad possibility could be that all the chicks died. It would have been extremely difficult for her to find enough food for 10 chicks, and they could have become very cold. Usually when a chick dies, the parent(s) remove the body,but it's hard to believe she could have removed them all, by herself.

I think it's unlikely that she will lay any more eggs, unless she finds another mate - but all you can do is watch and wait.

Maybe someone else will have some thoughts on this - this is the best I can offer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: