The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Will they wont they.?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern Kar

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Will they wont they.? Reply with quote

Hello all. This is my first time on a forum so bare with me! I have a nest box with a camera inside that for the past 4 weeks has had interest from a pair of Bluetits, they come daily to the box and to the garden to feed, typical behavoir is the male chips around the hole, the female goes inside and does the wiggle and chips at the floor and wiggles. They can visit quite a number of times esp when the weather is nice. I have seen her take material inside twice but weeks apart. Is this typical behavoir? They have been doing this weeks and as I am a novice I am not sure if they will nest or not. I wonder if they are still deciding if they like the box or not. Can anyone give me some info on what may happen. By the way I am in North Yorkshire. Thanks in advance. Smile
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll like it here. It's a funny old year so far, everything seems to be so late, but if you read through the posts you'll see things are starting to happen for a few people. The behaviour you report seems quite promising and quite normal. Has the male been inside the box at all and is there any nest material in there (you said she'd taken some in twice, just wondered if she'd taken it out again as they are inclined to do that sometimes). I think most are hanging on for the better weather, hope that's not too far away. I think us 'Northerners' are maybe even further behind. Don't give up hope, still time for them to make up their minds.
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nest building is slow for everyone this year,
Some just take longer to build, If you are still getting visits and nest wriggles and even had material brought in twice its a very good sign.
The female will know when the time is right and suddenly start building fast they can have a nest complete within days.
I have had blue tits in past complete a nest within 4 days and other ones have started early and took 4/5 weeks to complete.

Northern Kar

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Will they wont they? Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes the male goes in now and again but not for long, he spends most of his time on the perch at the entrance, chipping the wood. When i realised there had been interest from the pair some 4 weekss ago i peeped in one evening and saw that there was some moss inside, so have been watching them since and i have only seen her take material in twice, one time it was a piece of carpet backing that is like string about 13 inches long, which a day later she pulled out again. It has been quite wet and chilly here so i hope better weather will help them.
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again. That's strange nesting material to bring in Surprised good job she changed her mind. Can I just ask has your box got an actual perch at the entrance because that's not a good idea as it makes it much easier for predators to gain access. Wet and chilly here too, but was lovely yesterday, no wonder they're confused.
Northern Kar

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Will they wont they? Reply with quote

Thanks Wildlife Paul, thats reassuring to hear, thanks for your reply. I eagerly await each day to see what they do, I have become quite attached to them both. Smile
Northern Kar

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Will they wont they? Reply with quote

Hi Gina1948, yes it does have a perch, it was prebuilt like that, will remove it, thanks for the advice. Im so glad she removed the string too as at one point she was getting cottered up in it!
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Northern Kar Very Happy Very Happy Sounds like you are already addicted to watching the antics of the beautiful birds. Look forward to updates. Glad she's decided on a better floor covering Very Happy Very Happy I'm way down south so we are supposed to get Spring earlier but I've just had interest from a great tit in one box. I've got bluetits nesting in another box and it seems just lately there has been some urgency to it but the nest is by no means finished. Mine has decided that straw is the 'in' flooring this year Very Happy I have never seen so much in one box...so Spring is on the way.
Northern Kar

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Will they wont they? Reply with quote

Hi Sammi, Very Happy yes I am, they are fascinating. Wow Great tits and Bluetits thats awesome for you. I will certainly keep you all updated on my pair. Very Happy
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a newbie on here Northern Kar. Looks like you are in for a treat in the next few weeks! Very slow this year as others have commented. I'm still waiting too here in the Mids but not giving up hope as I've had a semi wriggle this morning in the box Banana! . Will look forward to your updates - Gook luck Very Happy Fingers crossed
Kathy
Northern Kar

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Will they won't they? Reply with quote

Hi blue-eyed chick. Thanks for the welcome. Yes hopefully they will get cracking soon. Can't wait to hear your updates. Very Happy
Northern Kar

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Will they wont they? Reply with quote

What a turn around of events, despite it being quite chilly and damp at times my pair, or rather the female has kicked into action this afternoon bringing moss to the nest box, at one point she had so much in her mouth she had quite a squeeze to get inside. Very Happy Very Happy Its such a privilege to watch these beautiful birds. Laughing
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lucky you, congratulations Banana! You’ll hardly have time for anything else now you have so much going on in your box. You have a fascinating time ahead. Please keep us updated.
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you Northern Kar,
When they are ready they will just go for it.
Its just been a weird season for everyone this year with all the cold snaps and snow and things its really prolonged things for all of us.

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased for you, now the 'glued to the screen' begins Banana! !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: