The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

New Starling Box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: New Starling Box Reply with quote

I have been working on modifying four Swift boxes to fit under our eaves (once finished I will update my previous post) but whilst I was doing this I thought I would build a new Starling box. The old box is now 5 seasons old and is looking pretty shabby. The birds have worn grooves under and at the side of the entrance hole from numerous landings over the years. This season, the camera was soiled half way through the first brood and all we could see was a blurred outline of the nest.

So I decided to build a much bigger box as I believe that the current one from garden nature was too small to accomodate 5 nestlings as they grew. I also wanted to increase the distance from the entrance hole to the camera and to centre fix the camera through some plywood and add a light for better colour.

The whole lot cost me about £45 excluding camera which I already had. I really enjoyed making this and mounted it late this morning as a Starling was using the old box to roost. I have not connected the camera yet as I ran out of time.

I have posted some pics below of the build and chose to make it out of 22mm x 190mm cedar which I obtained for £18 from our local timber yards. I hope this thicker wood will provide more insulation from the heat and cold.

Camera Mounting
Camera Mounting
Poster: Benn, viewed 6 Time(s)

Camera ceiling and hinged roof for easier access.
Camera ceiling and hinged roof for easier access.
Poster: Benn, viewed 3 Time(s)

Finished Box
Finished Box

Fixings
Fixings
Poster: Benn, viewed 2 Time(s)

Comparison of old and new box.
Comparison of old and new box.
Poster: Benn, viewed 4 Time(s)

Mounted Box 1.
Mounted Box 1.
Poster: Benn, viewed 1 Time(s)

Mounted Box 2.
Mounted Box 2.

Mounted Box 3.
Mounted Box 3.

Felt Roof
Felt Roof
Poster: Benn, viewed 5 Time(s)

Marking out a cardboard stencil
Marking out a cardboard stencil
Poster: Benn, viewed 5 Time(s)
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks brilliant Benn,
Your starlings will be very happy!
Looking forward to seeing the swift boxes, Be amazing if you get a nest next year in one of them! Fingers crossed

Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paul,

I ordered some 2.8mm wide angle lenses for the Swift boxes and they have just arrived today. Just have to set them up and then I'll be ready to mount them.

If I get some visitors/ inspections next year I'll be delighted. It could be 4 or 5 seasons before I get a successful nest. Young birds do not usually breed until their third season unless we get a summer like we just have which kick starts their sexual maturity. Other than that I can only hope that a couple of displaced pairs from the recently demolished nearby cotton mill find the boxes.

Might have to wait until this weather abates before I go up the ladder!!! Shocked
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the starling start roosting in the new box yet for you?
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure Paul. I still need to get the new cable through the wall. I should get round to it this week now the weather has calmed down. I hope so.
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildlifePaul wrote:
Did the starling start roosting in the new box yet for you?

I'm afraid that the new box has not been slept in yet. I also did a bit of work on my blue tit box, centralising camera in a plywood roof and adding the LED light. The blue tit rooster did not appear last night either Sad .

I'm sure things will progress as winter draws on.

Relocated my Great tit box after two blank seasons. I've put it at the corner of the shed. I have a hunch they prefer a few metres of clear space free from trees or obstruction up to the entrance hole.

The nearby ivy had encroached within a couple of yard. I have given the ivy a good short back and sides as it had got out of hand and together with my numerous raspberry canes, the garden became a jungle this summer according to my better half Smile
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's a shame Benn,
I am sure as the autumn draws on and the winter sets in you'll have a full house.
Keep us posted!

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Benn, thats great!!! What a lovely box. Well done. Great satisfaction in having your own home built box.

Best of luck with it now....

I have no roosters as yet, but I'm wondering is it because it is still relatively warm - well, it is in Ireland anyway. But this morning we woke up to the first frost, so we will see what happens.

Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatbluehopeful wrote:
Ah Benn, thats great!!! What a lovely box. Well done. Great satisfaction in having your own home built box.

Best of luck with it now....

I have no roosters as yet, but I'm wondering is it because it is still relatively warm - well, it is in Ireland anyway. But this morning we woke up to the first frost, so we will see what happens.

Fingers crossed for you GBH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: