The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Greatbluehopefuls nest box 2013-2018 - Kildare,Ireland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely brilliant. Applause Applause ....sending good vibes over the water for nesters this year. Everything crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Banana!
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all...its a beautiful day here. I really am hopeful again.

Yes, Paul there is not great tree coverage. You can probably see that from my kitchen window view picture.

I only have one tree over to the left, at the rear of my left shed, but there is a lot of hedge and climbing plants all around the walls.

A couple of years back, all the mature trees to the back of my garden were cut down, all along the back ditch and in my neighbours garden next to me too....and I do think that has a lot to do with my lack of success...they were fabulous trees. We lost alot of wild life that year. Crying or Very sad

However, there are more trees growing back, and each year the branches reach higher and bigger. But nothing like before.

Due to the two large sheds, and a large covering of patio area, I don't have enough room in my garden to plant a tree unfortunately.

xxMariaxx

wales.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful box you're other halfs made GBH.. I hope you've give him a big smacker for that.. Kiss Good luck Fingers crossed
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gbh, that’s a fantastic job, well done. I am willing you get something, if not this year, definitely next year. Very Happy

Elle
Xx
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely A-MAZ-ING GBH. What a brilliant box. You so deserve a nest. Fingers crossed Pray Fingers crossed
Sue
hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great box GBH But as Paul says you won’t have a nest unless you have a tree near it for them to land on before hopping into nestbox and when the chicks take their first flight they have to have somewhere to land when they stumble out of the box. Get a planter and stick a tree that grows quickly in it start it now so it’s ready and settled for next Spring. If you have any wild Elder or Hawthorn, dig them up and plant them in the plander or they’re is always Aldi. Roll on the floor laughing great for Trees Roll on the floor laughing

But you never know, their’s still probably a pair of Blue/Grey tits that will notice that lovely new shiny box.....really hope so Pray

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys,

I might even put a bay style tree in a pot, to place under the box on the ground. Its a very dull corner though.

The only reason the box is where it is because this was the location that I got my first nest built back some years ago (in an Aldibox), so, I have to imagine that birds saw something that was favourable about this location, even minus the trees.

For next season, we may move the box one more time down to the end of the garden on the side of the shed, same orientation, and then place some decorative bushes underneath...

Its where my feeders are currently, be we can move those up towards my kitchen window...

hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good place for next year Very Happy

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

So for the moment I have placed a large Curry plant under the box....just for a bit of foliage. Probably won't do the job but there is a wire very close to the box too which the birds land on...I'm may also try and get a tree in a tub and place it on top of my water butt, to act as a temporary bigger tree!!!!

Or I might move the box again to the shed location I talked about....I don't know what to do really. As the feeders are all located there, and its a very, very busy spot.

I want to stop meddling with everything and just leave it as it is for the short time I have left.

Anyway....Mealworms & Waxworms....I have sourced an Irish supplier with and I'm looking for advice on quantities as I can't envisage how much I'd need initially and also how to store them etc...

They sell 90g tubs of live mealworms...its about 80 worms....is this enough or way too little? How long would this amount last me? The waxworms come in a 15g tub...you only get about 5 or something!!!!

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coincidence I've just taken delivery of my first meal worms of the season. I ordered a small sack of mini Mealworm 250g. It's too early really for my blue tits but my Robin friend has been dropping hints Very Happy How many you need is really like how long is a piece of string. Different folk have different ways. I put some out in various feeders two or three times a day......more often if the weather is awful or if I know one of the parents has disappeared. I keep Mealworm cold and they last quite well. I used waxworms for the first time last year and they go down well too Very Happy I usually make many orders before the season comes to an end. This probably hasn't helped any really Roll on the floor laughing Best of luck with the box.
My Bluetits have finally started lining the cup with wool and feathers Banana!
Great tits haven't visited for yet another day. Holding out for them to use maybe for a second brood. Very Happy
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...well, I might go with a small delivery first and see how far that takes me....there is definitely two couples in my garden...the Great Tits and the Coal Tits, so it I will put some out for them.

So....back to the bird box. I was thinking about the lack of trees issue, and so I went out and had a really good look at my garden and all the north or east facing walls that I have.

Previously, we had no access to the very back of our shed, but since we flattened out that area and put our composter and hope to place a water butt there, as I stood there today I realise that there is a very good location that I could site this new box.

Plus, the added bonus is that there is young conifer growing up just in front of this location in my neighbours to the rights garden. There is a direct flight path into the box too from an elderberry tree in a different neighbours garden joining the end of my garden.

I think, at this stage, I have nothing to lose. We are going to move the box this evening, to the back of the shed. Its the most quiet area of the garden and has the most foliage with over hanging Ivy and, its also has that other tree over to the left of my garden also....so three choices of tree to find refuge and for the young fledgings to fly to easily.

I hate not being able to see the box from my kitchen window, but I think this might be my very best possible chance at a nest for next year.

I'll post up pictures after.

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope the house move goes well. It sounds a perfect spot. Very Happy Very Happy
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all...well, the deed is done.

New box in place and it has already had a visit to front this morning.

New location. Right at the back of the shed. No man's land!!!!
New location. Right at the back of the shed. No man's land!!!!
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 20 Time(s)

I don't know what it was, as I forgot to adjust the motion detection settings on the outside camera to record the box in its new spot

But, it's a bird! Probably just being curious to this new item in its territory.

Sticking a snout in.
Sticking a snout in.
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 18 Time(s)

Anyway, this is truly all I can do for this year....but I'm very hopeful for next year now.

sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBH
How exciting. Banana! You can relax now knowing you can do no more. The rest is up to them Very Happy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Sammi says GBH, you can do no more. The fact that a bird has noticed and is curious is a good sign. Fingers crossed
Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 31 of 36

Jump to: