The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Greatbluehopefuls nest box 2013-2018 - Kildare,Ireland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue.... I was forced to work from home again today, and of course the positive side of that is that I get to have the TV on all day.

I had only one landing yesterday, the first bit of activity since November, and then I had another landing on the box today...just the one.

Loud chirping, pecking and all that jazz....but again...it did not go inside? What gives? Rolling Eyes

Now I'm thinking the entrance hole is too small? Its 28mm... should I make it bigger????

I have a 32mm on standby also...but I just wanted a Great Tit or a Blue Tit so badly.

(I know, I know!!! I shouldn't be choosy...and WildlifePaul is going to say Sparrows are great too...I hear ye!!! Laughing And I do know I'm limiting my options. I'll have a think about it... I might pop up and switch them out when the snow melts)

Also, with so many birds in the garden, is this another reason that maybe birds are NOT interested? Are they being frightened off....I'm worried that there is too much activity I wonder and a possible threat to their young?

lol!!! I'm really clutching at straws here.... I know its early, but I just have a feeling I'm going to have another year of watered down interest that amounts to nothing. I just can't bear it!!! Crying or Very sad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a different note, I'm have been talking with a friend of mine who works with CCTV installations. He is going to set me up with a 4 Channel (or thinking of the future, I might go 8 channel) digital recording system with 1TB of internal memory which feeds into an app that I can log into on my mobile. It will have the motion detection and all that jazz.

I had been looking into it myself, but I was getting bamboozled with so many options, plus lots of places don't deliver to Ireland, and even if I bought online, I was afraid I would buy the wrong thing. I just wanted to get sometime tailor made for my needs.

He thinks he might be able to combine the current wired camera from the box with some new wireless cameras, all on the one system.

So we might erect a wireless camera facing the entrance to the box, and a wireless one at the bird feeders, and obviously the existing wired one in the box itself will still be there.

I'm very excited about this. I think even if I don't get any action in the box this year, I will enjoy watching the birds feed anyway.

It'll give me something to look at and I won't feel so frustrated not knowing what's going on while I'm away with work. I'd love to get it all set up this week. Fingers crossed. Day dreaming

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I've looked it up.

I already kind of knew this from reading it here and there...but GreatTits actually don't go into 28mm entrances anymore...its been noted that they are more inclined to go for the 32mm size these days due to the fact that they have become bigger birds these recent years.

That goes for the Blue Tits too, who seem to opt for the 28mm size over the 25mm.

So there you go...I read that on a good few sites now this evening.

I suppose I had just forgotten about it but it had been niggling at me, in the back of my mind.

I hopped out on the roof and switched the 28mm plate out in favour of the 32mm.

So thats that. All set for tomorrow.

I expect to see a fully built nest by the time I get up in the morning! Laughing

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildlifePaul wrote:
No don't put a plate on, your seriously limiting who nest there at rate and after 5 years of no nests I don't think that would be your smartest move, I have blue tits nesting in 32mm holes all time it doesn't bother them atleast this way you have chance of blue tit, great tit, Sparrow! Don't be so against sparrows they mightn't be as colourful as blue tits but there nest habits are a lot more interesting and they have few broods a year plus there in decline so any chicks they raise is great! Also with 28mm hole sometimes it's too much of a squeeze for great tits I know 28mm is "meant" for them but have known a lot people report inc Malcom and Elizabeth that 28mm was too small for there local great tit to squeeze in so in my opinion you'd be limiting your choices far to much.

Paul....just reading back to March last year....this is a post from then....you had actually told me all this !!!

I feel foolish now. How did I forget this????

I made the adjustment to the entrance in late July when I was fitting the new resin windows. They guys who I bought the windows from had put a packet of plates in with my order and I just chose the middle sized one to protect the bare wooden entrance. Turns out, it was the 28mm one.

It didn't put off that blue tit rooster so it wasn't all bad! Smile

Anyway...onwards and upwards. It's still early days yet.

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GBH, I feel your pain. I am getting frequent visits in and out of one of my boxes (not my camera box), and I have a plate on there that is only 27mm . It was used last year and the birds are in and out of it this year!! Maybe all that food is fattening your birds up too much lol. Good luck. You sound as desperate as I am for action I can actually see. Good luck with your other project.
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you've put a 32mm plate on now GBH, It will open the box up to alot more.

I think Sue will agree with me here, Even if you get sparrows they are still interesting to watch. I actually find them more interesting because the bond they have, Sparrow is one of the few birds that stay loyal to its mate they stay as a pair unlike blue tits etc that pair up different each year. The bond between them is brilliant to watch even the male sits on the eggs its a shared effort which the blue tits do not do.

This is my 3rd year with the sparrows in the same box and I love watching them, You have to understand too sparrows are in decline so any help they get it needed.

I have EVERYTHING cross you get a nest whatever it maybe be blue tit, great tit, sparrow. Fingers crossed

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Its mad...because when I read back through posts to last year and the year before etc, like I did last night, and I was really wondering why I forgot all the good advice and suggestions? ....but of course, there was often several months in between those posts.

Then low and behold, you go out for an afternoon fluting around with the box and do something detrimental, forgetting all the good advice, thinking its a clever idea! For some reason I had it in my head that the middle sized hole place must be the optimal size for the birds I want to attract?????? Dumbass!!! Laughing

Plus, senility is setting in too....lol!

No harm done though. The 28mm hole plate was only on since late July, so at least I didn't leave it on for this whole season.

Right, thats that.

Home again from work today, so I will be on again if I see some action. Silly

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its still very early in the season, Activity isn't that high in my boxes at moment. We have just got over a very cold snap the little birds are confused probably.

I'm sure you'll get visits etc when the time is right GBH, I have everything crossed for you!

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone...

Well, I've finally moved into the 21st century!!! I'm up and running.... online!!

My pal fixed me up with a DVR recorder and two more cameras.

I now have 1TB of surveillance recording capabilities on the new 4 channel DVR box. It works with my old Aldi birdbox camera which has an outdated scart connection, but is also able to work with all the new connections too...HDMI, VGA, RCA etc...so now I've two new fancy HD cameras. I used an old PC monitor so I can see whats going on 'live' while I'm at home.

Unfortunately, there is no speakers on the monitor, but I'm working on trying to see what I can do there to get the sound back.

I'm linked up to the internet and I now I will be able to watch my silent, empty bird box from work. lol!!!

I hope to set one of the HD cameras up at the weekend...facing the front of the birdhouse and then eventually, another one at the feeders.

I'm doing all the set up myself, so its slow going and alot of looking up the internet, but step by step I'm getting there.

I seemed to have encountered every technological pitfall that a human can fall into, but, Mr Google and Mrs Youtube are fantastic support. Laughing

Anyway...that's my news.

Now all I need to do is put an ad out for contestants to come along to my "Big 'Birder' House" auditions (see what I did there... Rolling Eyes ) , and they'll be lining up along the roof to get into the house. Very Happy

Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've been really busy Very Happy . I really hope your efforts pay off and you have lots of lovely little hatchlings to share with us. Still early yet though, lots of time for them to visit. Fingers crossed for everyone
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina...

In the last hour or two, I have also got the sound up and running...there is a mic installed on my birdbox camera, but I didn't know how to get it to work with my new DVR. It was just a matter of enabling the audio in menu options and then twiddling with the wire a bit to secure the connection better. It worked!!!

I now have the audio & visuals on a live feed on my mobile phone. Delighted.

Never thought it would happen...I'd been looking into it for so long that I was over complicating things.

So, thats enough of the tech talk.

All very well having this set up and thenI get no visits!!! Murphys law!!! Rolling Eyes

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh GBH, well done. Think you are very clever. Now so hope you get something to watch. Please let it be our year for having little ones in our camera boxes. Can't wait to see the action from your set up, sounds fantastic.
Good luck.
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds brilliant GBH, Really wishing so much success for you this season.
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Success!!!

This a snapshot from my short video clip of my first bird visit this year. I'm very delighted and excited as you can all imagine. To even have a bird show a bit of interest will be enough to keep me going for a week!

First recorded birdie visit.
First recorded birdie visit.
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 9 Time(s)

I can't figure out how to upload video yet as the format doesn't appear to be compatible but the picture is good enough for now.

We still have snow on the ground, even after a week of it stopping snowing, but is nearly gone and the daffodils are slowly starting to bloom... which is a lot later than last year...we are due another cold 'snap' over St Patrick's weekend unfortunately.

But, after that, I'd say all the bird madness will begin.

Fingers crossed. I'm really wishing and hoping this year will be my year.

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant pic GBH. Like you, I am just greatful for ANY interest. So hope you get to grips with your new technical set up in time for the big blue off. Can't wait to see any of your images etc. Still cold and miserable here - I am blaming that for very little action at the moment. I grasp at any excuse lol.
Sue
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue....on keeping everything crossed for both of us.

Let this year be our year...p.s Big Blue Off...I love it!!! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 18 of 36

Jump to: