The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Greatbluehopefuls nest box 2013-2018 - Kildare,Ireland
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Greatbluehopefuls nest box 2013-2018 - Kildare,Ireland Reply with quote

Hi again all,

I posted last night in the introduction section, and I had a few questions, which you've probably heard many times before, so in the mean time I'll move away from that for now, and begin here instead by explaining my bird box set up.

This is my first year with nest boxes.

I've an Aldi webcam nest box set up for Blue tits, Coal tits and Great tits hopefully. I measured the hole and its a generic 32mm. The box is up about 8ft off the ground, on the brick wall of my extension. There is no surrounding vegetation. Hope this won't be an issue. The eaves of the roof are protecting the box from above. No predators can reach this box. I put this up on 3rd January and there has been no interest whatsoever, that I could see, until last week.

The second box I have is an Aldi non-camera open fronted box for Robins and Wrens which is situated lower down, about 3.5ft off the ground in a dense mature Clematis climbing plant...I've left a gap to create a bit of a path flight and so they can see it! I put this up during the week. I have two pairs of Robins who visit my garden and a wren, so time will tell if they like my offering.

Both boxes are facing North East, and I have bird feeders out all winter, and I had some lovely birds visit including a beautiful Goldfinch which unfortunately fell to clutches of our cat. I get so resentful to her for doing this and at the time I could have wrung her neck. Evil or Very Mad But, I guess thats is the nature of the beast and it goes with the territory, whether its my cat or someone elses.....so to combat this, I have put up a protective barrier now of trellis fencing around where the bird feeder is to give the birds on the ground a fighting chance.

We have the usual visitors of birds to our garden mostly Wrens, Robins, Blue tits, Grey tits, Coal tits, Starlings, Siskins, Goldfinches, Chafinches, Blackbirds, Thrushes, Sparrows, Green finches and Redpolls, and a one time group of six birds with orange colouring on their breasts that arrived together that I couldn't identify. Could they be Linnets? Haven't seen them since. Passing through perhaps to warmer climates?

I think I have placed the feeders are far enough away from the bird boxes not to cause any problems for potential nesters.

So, I had foolishly put some moss in the camera box, thinking this would be helpful, but, after reading up, just this morning, I decided remove the moss from the box....so its back to being totally empty now.

There was no activity around the box for days so I don't feel its caused any major harm (hopefully)

While I was there I re-positioned the camera as it was slightly off centre and gave it a wipe over as it was quite dusty too. I *think* my camera is out of focus slightly too, but other than taking the camera down and removing the glass dome covering over the camera, I can't see a way of manually refocusing it while its in the nest box. I'll leave the camera focus alone for this year. It will do.

My camera is currently just connected to a TV monitor, but I'm hoping to find a way of using the USB connection method that I've read about here to set it up with my laptop. Then I can take some still shots of the comings and going....

I need to look into it. I'm ok-ish with computer stuff on a basic level, so hopefully with a bit of help from this forum and the internet, I'll be set up without too much scratching of my head in puzzlement.

Anyway, that's it. That's my set up.

In all the time the camera box has been up, I have personally seen Blue Tits visit only on two different occasions, and they were a week apart from each other. The first day, last Thursday, a blue tit came in the morning and returned about three times, which caused great excitement for us, but then there was nothing, and the second time, just on Monday, a blue tit visited just the once. Never to be seen again....? Confused
( Edited to clarify: the birds never actually entered the house, they only came to the entrance, pecked a bit then flew away )

Of course, I'm not watching it all the time, but when I'm at home, I have the monitor on. Its nice hearing the birds singing being picked up through the mic in the box.

So, its a lovely sunny morning here, warmer than the past few days, which was snowing and desperately cold, so I'm hoping to see some visits.

Fingers crossed. Fingers crossed I hope my meddling hasn't put them off for good. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Greatbluehopeful on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:53 am; edited 6 times in total
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big excitement....

I was sitting here at my kitchen table with the monitor on as usual, and suddenly I heard a thud on the house.

I then watched a Blue tit enter the house and get a good look around....then a few seconds later a second Blue tit entered and the two remained together for a minute. So I am assuming this is a pair.

This is the first time I believe that any birds have entered the house.

I am very hopeful!!!!! Razz

KirstiB

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed. Exciting, isn't it!?
hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Best of luck......all sounds promising Dancing

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...It IS exciting, only that they haven't been back!! Rolling Eyes

I blame the really cold weather here in Ireland.

On saying that I had a brief visit to the house entrance from a Coal Tit and now there is a pair lingering in the garden feeding furiously on the feeders for the past few days. They haven't been back to the house while I was watching anyway!

I haven't seen any activity from any Blue tits near the birdbox, only at the feeders.

Anyway, time will tell!

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news...another visit by a pair today...got the whole thing on video.

Coincidentally, its Thursday again...they only ever seem to visit on a Thursday? Hmmm.

Here are two freeze frames of the goings on:

A fine pair....
A fine pair....
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 58 Time(s)

Doin da Shuffle.
Doin da Shuffle.
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 42 Time(s)

Also, some new comers to my garden, a pair of long tailed Tits. I've never, ever seen them in my life before, so it was a first for me.

I had to check my bird guide book to find out what they were....

KirstiB

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images.
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kirsti....

It was just pure luck I was sitting at the laptop and was able to press the record button.

This 3 min video will keep me going now till they next decide to visit again, probably next Thursday, but hopefully before that! Laughing

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all...covered in snow here and bitter cold so all activity completely diminished with regards to the birdboxes....

However, the bird feeders are working over time...I have visits from groups of birds who appear to be on a feeding rota!!! Isn't nature great.

Loads and loads of these long tailed tits coming now. Lovely little guys.

One bird who recently arrived to the garden I could not identify as I knew it wasn't one of my regular birds when you look closely. I finally found it by going through pictures on the web.

Its a female "Blackcap". (Beige browny grey all over with a rusty coloured cap, and a hint of black and white on the fringe of her wings)

I never have seen these before...she has been visiting on and off for the past few days, always on her own and away from the other birds feeding times. I hope there is a mate for her near by as I'd love for her to stick around.

I'm really loving this... Very Happy

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First morning there is no snow here in Kildare...

Its still cold but there is no frost or ice and the temperature is definitely up, and like clockwork, there was my pair of Blues at the bird feeders after having not seen them for a week. I was getting anxious. I wonder where they've been.

Hope I get some activity in the birdbox today.

I need my weekly hit! Very Happy

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three beautiful sunny, but still quite chilly mornings in a row.... absolutely no activity in the birdboxes....none at all! Rolling Eyes

I dunno!!! They better get a move on! Smile

Did noticed an extra Blue tit at the bird feeders though....so now there are three regular blue tits visiting.

I have had an increase of Red polls and Goldfinches as I had put out Niger seeds on Monday. They are loving them. And I'm loving watching them enjoy their meal.

That's it really. Nothing else to report.

Oh one more thing, there is a pair of sparrows building the nest in the eaves of the house across from mine...they are very vocal and loud, plus their nest is in direct view of my bird box...I hope this is not putting the birds off coming to my birdbox?

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrating, this bird watching isn't it - or rather the weather is. My birds have been building on and off for a couple of weeks now - I am not lucky enough to have a camera in the box (lovely pics of yours), and am just hoping they don't give up in frustration of the cold. I have seen all sorts being taken into the box (unlike some others I haven't noticed anything being removed), so I am very hopeful, and this morning for the first time I saw some softer nesting going in - hair or feathers??!! Just hope they hang on in there. Last year I managed to photograph my sons birds fledging (same type of box as mine) and had pictures of chicks fledging two and three at a time - absolutely wonderful. Keep posting and letting us know any updates, and good luck.
Sue
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue...that sounds very hopeful with the feathers...could this be it?!!! Surely they'll have to commit soon or they'll miss their window.

Still no activity with mine, but one blue tit did look in briefly this morning, only to fly off and never come back!

The weather is very frustrating...so, so cold. At least it is dry and sunny though, but that cold just gets into your bones. Really looking forward to a few degrees warmer...it would make all the difference.

Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short visit from a pair this morning...they stayed about 3 mins, just happened to be having breakfast with the laptop open viewing the empty box (which is very boring I know seeing as nothing is happening in there, but its nice to hear the birds chorus through the mic so I just leave it on Razz ), anyway, I was able to video it all!

Here is a snapshot of one of the frames.

Fingers crossed Gosh, I really hope they come back. Smile

Give me a twig or a bit of moss....ANYTHING!!! Laughing
10th April Visit
10th April Visit
Poster: Greatbluehopeful, viewed 29 Time(s)

fsphil

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The will-they-won't-they stage seems to last for aaaaaages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36

Jump to: