The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Roving Tit Flocks..........keep an eye out for stragglers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Roving Tit Flocks..........keep an eye out for stragglers! Reply with quote

Now's the time of year to start taking notice of the roving (mixed) Tit flocks that have formed up.
If you've not experienced one before, it's well worth getting out to your local wood/hedgerow and locating one....if only for the feeling of "Where do i look first?!"
You'll usually hear them first, their constant contact calls give them away.
Long-tails usually make up the vanguard, followed by the Blue & Great Tits. Next come the odd Coal (numbers present depends on the habitat) and the odd "Black capped" tit. This is where it get's interesting because following up the rear you will usually find Goldcrests (which may hide the odd Firecrest!), Treecreepers, Nuthatches (sometimes), wintering Chiffys and, if you're really lucky, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker or even, if you're a completely jammy type - or you're on the east coast - the odd Yellow-browed or Pallas's Warbler!!

The best strategy is (once you've located your flock and determined the direction it's travelling in) to get ahead of it and just stay put and wait for the birds to pass you. If you're still and in reasonable cover (try positioning your self against a tree trunk for example) the birds should ignore you and pass by at fairly close range, allowing you the time to check for "goodies"

go on, get down to your local wood and find youself a firecrest or two!

<insert suitable pithy comment here>
SuzyBee

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Simon - that's really useful info. I shall make sure I look at all the birds in a flock and not just assume that they are all the same.

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that item it may have given me the answer to the birds who visit my garden.

We don't get many tits mainly finches but when one tit appears you can guarentee other tits also arrive. I have pointed this out to my husband on many occassions but he always dismisses it as being a fluke.

Normally we get 6/8 long tail tits, then two or three GT's and also BT's - they don't stay long, just a quick feed and off they go, not necessarily together but within a minute or two of each other.

So thanks Simon you may have solved my riddle.

Joan Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: