The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

My Friend Mr Blackbird

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: My Friend Mr Blackbird Reply with quote

Hi All

I've been getting friendly with a male blackbird over the last few months, i keep a tub of sultanas on the kitchen windowsill and i assume he's been watching me take them out and put them into a bowl for him I don't know how it's happened but now we've got an arrangement Laughing he comes to the kitchen window shouts at me Laughing and i take out a bowl of sultanas for him when he's gone i bring them back in so the other birds don't take them, well about 6am this morning i took them back in but left them in the passageway inside the back door incase he came back, about 5 mins later i came out of the livingroom into the kitchen and there he was scoffing the sultanas, so dashed and got my camcorder and was lucky enough to be able to sit at the kitchen table and get this video, what a fantastic start to my day Very Happy

maggie

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil so nice to hear about your blackbird .We also have had a male and female black bird feeding sultana,s to their chicks we think they must have had about 3 to 4 broods this season they certainly have got through about a large bag a week in the last6 to 8 weeks. The female comes and stands in the box untill my husband puts the sultana,s out she dosent fly away when he goes to the box. Very Happy Its lovely to watch them
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil

What a lovely story about your Mr Blackbird.

I have also a friendly Mr Blackbird (thats my name for him). Each time I go into the garden he flies down at my feet and then proceeds to follow my every step. I talk to him all the time and I am sure he understands what I say (my husband begs to differ and thinks I am a little bonkers).

My Mr Blackbird also loves saltanas but his very best favourite is cheese. During the recenty hot humid weather I have left our patio door open and if I am not quick enough to answer his request for cheese he comes into the house and follows me to the kitchen while I cut the cheese into small cubes.

I thought my Mr Blackbird was unique but obviously they are very clever birds and are using us humans to their advantage....but I don't mind as it is lovely to be a special part in their lives.

Joan
Neil

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie & minijoan

I think it must be the same for us all, it makes you feel very humble that they make us part of their lives, and minijoan i always talk to him, sometimes he just sits on the fence on one leg and just sits there looking at me, he's been trying to get the female to do the same as he does he will call her with a soft whistle but she's only appeared about half a dozen times and is very nervous and soon flies off.

Just hoping he will keep coming and i will try a bowl of cheese along side the sultanas. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Visitors All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: