The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Phenomenal Sight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Phenomenal Sight Reply with quote

Yesterday, like most of the British Isle we had heavy persistant rain all day. At 8pm in the evening the rain eased and I witnessed something I have never seen before, hundreds of Swifts flying together.

I was watching TV but something kept flying past my patio window and when I got up to look I had a shock to see the sky above me full of Swifts.

They were wheeling about overhead and sudden one would descend and swoop low over the gardens. This spectacular event went on for about 30 minutes then they dispersed.

They had obviously been unable to feed during the day because of the heavy rain and were making the most of a window in the weather.

Normally we have about 12 Swifts flying and screaming together.

Could someone tell me if this is normal behaviour or did I witness something unusal.

Joan
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How amazing! I'm so envious - we've never seen a swift flying overhead here. Perhaps someone else will know more about such an event?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: