The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Mummy & Daddy have disappeared

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hart

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Mummy & Daddy have disappeared Reply with quote

We have two lovely little blue-tits in our box almost ready to fledge. Mummy blue-tit was a lone parent and we haven't seen her all day today. Up until now she has been a good mum feeding them all day long. They have been calling her all day today which is so sad. Can anyone suggest what we can do. I feel like I want to take them out of the nest box and start to feed them - but what with? Distraught.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would need to find an experienced "rescue person" - rearing such young chicks would be not be easy, so I'm afraid you'll just have to accept things as they are. Sad

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elizabeth - we are really upset this morning as the two little chicks have died. Such a shame as we have watched their every move!
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart - I'm sorry that you've had a sad outcome, but this season has been very unusual, Here's a link to the BTO's relpy to a recent email I sent:

http://www.forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=61074&highlight=#61074

We were lucky for a few years when we started using camera boxes, so were devastated when all the chicks died in two of our boxes in 2007.

I sometimes think camera boxes should come with some advice about problems, because they are quite normal - according to the BTO statistics, only about a third of chicks will survive their first year: http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob14620.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: