The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

No activity at nest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdbrain

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: No activity at nest Reply with quote

Hi everyone this is my first post ,but not good at things like this so will do my best . I need help already my lovely blue tits have laid eggs and been feeding for five days I do not have a camera in the box (hope to next year )so really don't know what is happening in the box but this.Morning there is no activity at all should I take a look or leave the box alone and wait and see
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Birdbrain, and welcome to the Forum - I'm sorry I didn't notice your post earlier. I hope by now you've seem some activity, but it won't help the birds at all if you look in the box, so I think you should just wait and see.

If you decide to have a camera box next year, you'll get help and advice here if you need it. Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elizabeth thankyou for your reply,sadly no birds all day so i did have a quick check this morning and all ten chicks dead so feeling bit down at the moment such a shame.but we have had such bad weather here in Bristol over the last few months , I was surprised there were so many chicks . It just seemed to happen so fast the parents were in and out all day Wednesday then Thursday morning nothing, hope they come back next year and have better luck regards pat
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat

Another sad story, there are so many this year, the poor little Blue Tits have really taken a hammering. Crying or Very sad I don't think any of us have an answer as to why it is happening.

Lets hope next year is a really good one.

Joan
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been promised a callback from the BTO about this problem - hope I'll get it today! Fingers crossed

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joan yes we can only hope , my husband is going to see if he can weather proof the box any better ,it is quite thick wood but the nest was very damp but I do think all this rain is a big factor with so many Poor little birds lost . If you ,or anyone else can give me any advice about cameras for the box I would be most grateful many thank's. Joan. Pat
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think quite a few of our members have a HandyKam box - there's a review of it here: http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/wildlife_gardening/bluetitcam.htm

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Elizabeth very helpful link. Pat
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat

My first nest box didn't have a camera and was so small I didn't think it was really suitable for nesting (it was bought on a whim from a garden centre); anyway with weeks of fixing it to my garden fence a pair of blue tits started visiting and they went on to lay eggs and I saw 8 chicks leave the nest.

I really wanted to know what had gone on inside the box so at my eldest son's suggestion I bought a camera box and again it was erected on the garden fence. To my great surprise and pleasure Mr & Mrs BT once more decided to use MY box to raise a family and I spent most of April & May 2011 glued to our spare TV screen completely entranced and captivated by the determination of these little birds.

This year I decided to up-grade and bought i-Catcher with the hope I could share my photo's with others on this site, but to my dismay (after taking a lot of interest, nest wiggles and box tapping) my BT's decided to go elsewhere so I have an empty box.

I am so grateful for this site as I have been able to watch the ups and downs of other BT families. After such a sad nesting season with so many baby BT's dying I am quite glad I haven't had to witness it in my box.

but.......on a happier note... there is always next year...it must get better...it can't possibly get worse...can it?

I am so sorry you have lost your baby BT's, let's hope the BTO can give us some indication as to what is going on this year.

Joan
Birdbrain

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first year we have had a nest used , but it is addictive . I have watched them for hours . Hope they come back next year when I have a camera box . pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: