The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Blue Tit, Laid one egg & now disapeared :-(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poppetchops

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Blue Tit, Laid one egg & now disapeared :-( Reply with quote

New to this forum only recently moved to the country & enjoying feeding & watching birds in our garden. I was hoping that someone may be able to give me some advice...

Put a bird box up a couple of months ago & nothing until I was suspicious when I saw a couple of blue tits flying away from it Saturday just gone & when I turned tv on they had obviously been building a nest for a day or so & that night presumably the female stayed in the nest as she did Sunday & Monday night & Tuesday morning very excited as an egg was laid, but........
Since then nothing, did not see any sign of any bird in the bird box during the day & we were keeping an eye on it & female did not turn up Tuesday night as she had done on previous nights & again today no sign.
Is this a common thing to happen or is it likely one/both of the pair of blue tits has come to a sad end.
We have lots of feeders & always keep food in plentiful supply..

Very sad Sad
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello pc, and welcome to the Forum.

The female doesn't always lay an egg each day after she starts, though it does seem rather strange that she didn't come in to roost last night. It's possible that she has been taken by a predator, or met with some accident, but I'm surprised that you haven't seen either bird recently, it's unlikely that both birds have come to a sad end. However, it doesn't sound too good - but don't give up hope just yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: