The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Blue Tit Cam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris hall

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Blue Tit Cam Reply with quote

I noted on an earlier message about our blue tit camera box. Well our bird started to incubate on April 30 her 6 eggs. Thought we may have had more eggs than this. We are on holiday on May 20th. Does anyone have a guide as to how long to hatching and then fledging.
I am trying desperately to have dvr set up for internet access but struggling so may have to set machine to not wipe automatically till we get back.

Chris.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

Last year my BT had six eggs she started incubating on the 28th April and the first egg hatched on the 10th May........12/13 days in all.

She laid her eggs over 4 days......last being 13th May and they all fledged on the 31st May.

You don't say how long you are away for, but you should still be home for hatching and if you are away for a week you should also be home for fledging. Of course all nests are different, you should look at Elizabeths diary which gives you dates etc for the past few years.

Hope this helps.

Joan Laughing Laughing
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Chris got my dates wrong, ignore my previous reply Embarassed

The first egg laid on the 22nd April and the last on 27th April; she started incubating on the 28th April. (6 eggs in all).

First egg hatched on the 10th May, the last egg on the 13th May.

All six chicks fledged on the 31st May.

So that is 12 days incubating and 18 days before fledging.

You should be at home for hatching and if you are away for just one week you should be home for fledging.

It gets complicated doesn't it.

Joan Rolling Eyes
chris hall

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Blue Tit Cam Reply with quote

Thanks Joan for prompt response. Away for one week. Dont know if you have a cam box this year but its compelling veiwing. Ive been trying to upload a snap but not great with computers hence no photo yet.
I installed the smallest security cam I could find as I first bought it as a discreet porch security camera and as birds were in and out of box I very quickly installed it. Images are a tad large as on monitor eggs look like pigeon eggs but its great. I will look at previous diary timelines but it seems we will see hatching at least. Cant wait.

Regards Chris.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

It looks like you should be home for both events.

Yes I do have a cambox, but this year my BT's have gone elsewhere. They were around all winter visiting the box daily, the visits increased in March only to suddenly stop. I am very upset as it was such a pleasure and a privilege watching the BT's from inside the box last year, my husband and I were glued to the TV screen even refusing invatations to visit family and friends.

Thank goodness for this web site as I can still get my BT fix and take great pleasure in reading about other peoples successes.

Good luck to your BT family.

Joan Laughing Very Happy
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

I am sorry but I am not very good with computers to answer all your questions. I bought iCatcher this year so I could post photographs on this site and also catch any action which happened in my box while I was out of the house, but as my BT's haven't used my box this year it is something of a white elephant (but hopefully will be used next year...ever the optimist).

You can view Elizabeths & Malcom's webcam by clicking on the inhanced "webcam" on the first page of their site, you do not need iCatcher to do this, you can also do the same with "Summary".

For thse of us who aren't computer minded it all seems very complicated but once used a few times it does get easier.

There are plenty on this site who will give you advice.

I do hope all goes well with your BT family, so many seem to be having problems this year, which I feel sure must be due to the exceptional wet April.

Joan Laughing
chris hall

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Blue tit update Reply with quote

Joan, just to let you know we have chicks. Four out of six hatched on Saturday morning - 12 days.
Egg nr 5 was eaten by adult and nearly formed chick taken out of box. Egg nr 6 still in nest. Have some great photos but am not able to upload. Fingers crossed the parents should cope with 4 chicks.

Chris.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Chris

Great news on the hatching of four chicks. I hope the parents are coping and find plenty of food for their young.

I really miss watching my BT's this year, but I love looking at this site and reading the news about other boxes, and hopefully mine will be back next year.

Good luck Fingers crossed
Joan Laughing
chris hall

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Blue tits Reply with quote

Joan, just to let you know that all four chicks left our camera box on Wed 30th some 18 days after hatching. We managed to see them go before returning to our holiday. Even our visiting children (19 & 22) were ringing for updates by the end. Captivating.
We also had our robins hatch 5 chicks just after the BT and these fledged before them and all left to pastures new. Surprised us how rapid the robins growth was. Great experience this year with a camera that was not quite a specific nest box camera but we are definitely going to do it again next year on a couple of boxes.
I have now temp fixed the camera to the soffit around the back of the bungalow pointing at a feeder and we have some good shots of various birds visting them including m&f great spotted woodpeckers.

Regards,

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, sounds like you have had a great success in your garden this year, let's hope next year is the same.

I think once you have witnessed the nest building, egglaying, hatching and then rearing the baby chicks it makes you realise how wonderful nature is. Like you, last year when our BT's were nesting in our camera box, I had regular phone calls from my family asking after them and neighbours knocking on the door wanting to see them, they certainly wend their way into your heart.

I am already looking forward to next year Smile

Joan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: