The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

How to attract new birds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starseven

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: How to attract new birds Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to attract different birds to my garden.

I have a feeding station (in the corner of the fence and hedge) with mesh platform and water dish, as well as hooks for hanging feeders (which don't get used). I put out general mixed seed, as well as sunflower hearts, black sunflower seeds and the odd halved apple as a pair of blackbirds are regular visitors. I put some of everything along the hedge along the back of the garden, as I've only got ground feeders visiting - as well as the blackbirds, I have a pair of wood pigeons, pair of collared doves, a robin and a dunnock.

I was using peanuts and mixed seed in feeders but took them down as they weren't being used. A blue tit family was hanging around the garden back in June when I first moved here and before I started feeding. I'd would love to see them back, and there lots of sparrows that feed a few gardens away and also opposite, but never in my garden.

The photos below show where feeders used to hang on the fence but I moved them onto the feeding station - but they weren't used in either place.

I'd love to hear how others have managed to attract new birds - I know you've got to be patient with birds but I would really like to see more visitors in the Spring!

Thanks Smile

Garden 1
Garden 1
Poster: starseven, viewed 90 Time(s)

Garden 2
Garden 2
Poster: starseven, viewed 50 Time(s)

Garden 3
Garden 3
Poster: starseven, viewed 58 Time(s)
Neil

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi starseven

Looks like a nice garden, may i ask if it is a front or back garden? my front garden has many people and neighbours walking past so it's never been my intention to make it overly bird friendly, my back garden is a different matter and seems always to be a work in progress, and it sometimes takes a while for the birds to understand we're trying to help them no matter what food we put out Surprised , i would say from the photos, and this is only my opinion, that a small tree would give some cover and also a nice place to hang some feeders, that said the variety and consistency of birds in my garden always seems to vary year by year, i have a small crab apple tree prunus malus red jade which is ideal for a small garden and also bears masses of fruits in summer plus it is arching so also gives a nice shape to a garden, maybe something like this would be helpful Smile

small tree
small tree
Poster: Neil, viewed 99 Time(s)
starseven

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

thanks for your response.

It is a back garden, I'm in the same position as you where the front is far too open and busy. I thought my back garden was nice and secluded but I think you're right, there isn't a great deal of cover other than the hedge.

Unfortunately I can't introduce any trees, fruit-bearing or otherwise, as it's a rented property and I'm not allowed to change the landscape of the garden.

What I'm thinking of doing is getting some planters so that I can get some plants that attract insects etc so there is more variety. Doing some reading now as to what flowers are best for the planters.

Cheers
Robina

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: attracting birds Reply with quote

Hiya,
I'm pleased to have joined the forum and read your comments. Yes, garden looks good, but I would agree there's no 'safety' aspect for the birds. Are you allowed to plant any bushes at all? We also throw out raisins on the floor which the blackbirds love. If we are sitting out, we also put out a bit of grated cheese which seems to attract the chaffinches too. Hope this may be of some use.

Robina
Kimberly

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time of year your feeder is competing with natural food sources that birds like better. The seed eaters will be around more in the winter when their natural sources of food are scarce. This time of year many people put their seed feeders away and put up hummingbird feeders. You don't need to buy special food to feed hummingbirds
starseven

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I can't change anything, but things are coming along nicely - there's almost always a bird in the garden now. I've also attracted the family of sparrows from up the road who only ever fed on feeders a few gardens away. I am still feeding regularly even though its getting a bit warmer, and have started to put out mealworms and crushed peanuts rather than whole nuts in hangers to see if this will encourage the soon to be new parents!

Robina, I hadn't checked on here for about 4 weeks but actually bought raisins a few days ago - and you're right, the blackbirds love them. I'm trying to look after those the most as they've been most frequent visitors and I think they could be nesting in the hedge. I've put some grated mild cheese out before but I don't even think the robin is interested, and never seen a chaffinch - or any other type of finch Sad

Kimberley, that is good advice - but I don't think we're lucky enough to have hummingbirds in my part of the world! Smile I have heard that people put the bird tables away in summer - I'm going to keep my feeding station out though to help with feeding the chicks and also to provide a souce of water as none of the other gardens near me seem to offer any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Visitors All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: