The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Is this normal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stokkers

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Is this normal? Reply with quote

Hi all

Just been checking up on my nest box camera and have noticed that the great tit I am watching, Greta, has so far only laid one egg sofar, but she seems to be leaving it for very long period and sometimes she covers it, sometimes not.

Now. I would like to know if this is normal?

Does she leave it until such time as she has finished laying before sitting on them? Won't they get cold?

Interested!

Ken
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken

BT's often leave their eggs uncovered when leaving their nest while they are still in laying mode. Once all the eggs have been laid she will then start incubating and only leave the nest for short times to feed etc.

I should think GT's are the same. When you think about it if she laid an egg a night for 8/10 days and they started incubating straight away some of the babes would be much larger than others so would get all the food and attention. Nature is very VERY clever.anyway that is my theory, I could be wrong as I am cetainly not an expert on the subject.

Good luck with your nest box.

Joan Laughing
Stokkers

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minijoan wrote:
Hi Ken

BT's often leave their eggs uncovered when leaving their nest while they are still in laying mode. Once all the eggs have been laid she will then start incubating and only leave the nest for short times to feed etc.

I should think GT's are the same. When you think about it if she laid an egg a night for 8/10 days and they started incubating straight away some of the babes would be much larger than others so would get all the food and attention. Nature is very VERY clever.anyway that is my theory, I could be wrong as I am cetainly not an expert on the subject.

Good luck with your nest box.

Joan Laughing

Hi Joan

Many thanks for your reply. It was very useful and confirms what I was thinking. I have noticed that she spends most of the day away from the nest and at present, she has covered the egg up. I haven't been able to see if she has laid any more. Do you have any idea of the time span between laying eggs?

It's quite cold, wet and windy out there today. Not very pleasant at all.

Ken
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken

Going by other nests it is normally one egg a night/day. Last year when I had BT's nesting in my camera box I found she laid one egg a night for six nights then she started incubating and the first egg hatched 12 days later the other followed in quick sucession. It was 40 days from the first egg being laid to the fledglings leaving the nest. If I was you I would look at Elizabeths diary of previous years this will give you a very good idea of what to expect next.

Good luck (my BT's have gone elsewhere this year and I miss them a lot).

Joan Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: