The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Garden Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Garden Project Reply with quote

Hi All,

H have not posted alot over the last four years, only we moved house & it is a massive project inside & out. I posted a photo of the garden about three years ago showing a blank canvas after we had removed all the rubbish, weeds. dead trees & leaking pond. We have now finished the garden project apart the odd one or two fill in plants. most of the garden has been built around wildlife we have a conifer hedge one side & a mixed hedge the other with privet, holly & hawthorn, the boarders are planted with all different evergreen shrubs, there is pyracanthas with red, yellow & orange berries, cotoneaster with pink berries, Viburnium, Yew, berberis, Aucuba, sweet/christmas box & mahonia, just to name a few. All the work has been done by me & my wife with the exception of the brick work for the steps, well & pond wall.

7.jpg
139.19 KB, Viewed 239 Time(s)

18.JPG
115.09 KB, Viewed 253 Time(s)

DSC_0022.JPG
137.9 KB, Viewed 253 Time(s)

Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Snowy (and Mrs Snowy!)

You've both obviously worked very hard - I hope that you'll now have plenty of time to relax and watch the birds. Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elizabeth, yes we can now relax in the garden in summer, it still needs quite a bit of maintenance at the moment tying in climbers, pruning shrubs, cutting the lawns & watering until every thing is established, With having a well I purchased a pump to draw the water off so I don't pay for any of the water for the garden or the pond. I drain clean the pond out once a year in the Autunm just after all the leaves have fallen, I draw 120 gallons of water from the wall & the water level in the well never changes & with the water coming from under ground I don't have to put any additives in it. the well was in a poor state when we moved in & now I have a little cast iron stopcock cover that I cover with my bird bath & just lift the bird bath & drop my hose connected to my pump & draw off what ever water I need. What we have done to the garden seems to have worked my garden bird tick list is now 39 different species, we have frogs the odd mouse a badger & a fox that comes every night for an egg & a peanut butter sandwich.

50.JPG
176.65 KB, Viewed 250 Time(s)

53.JPG
178.17 KB, Viewed 253 Time(s)

Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks fabulous! (And enormous!) You're obviously doing all the right things, as the wildlife is coming in abundance. I hope you get even more birds as the shrubs mature.
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kitty, it is a big garden but thats one of the reasons we moved here, at the other house we had the garden was only small & every time you went out the back door to do anything all the birds flew away the crows, magpies & pigeons still do but the small birds sparrows, tits & finches etc are quite happy to feed without being spooked very time the door is opened, they will feed even when we are pottering about the garden I think another reason for this is, behind us is a large field & parkland & the birds are used to people & there dogs. If you think our garden is big the land which our house & garden are build on belonged to next door, it was there Italian garden & tennis court & there garden is still bigger than ours. If you look at the first picture you can see a huge concrete structure in the right hand corner, thats a world war II air raid shelter when next door sold the land the boarder went right through the middle of the shelter, next door have the enterance to the shelter I just have a block of concrete which I have put metal trellis across with climbing plants & planted around it to hide it, there are fat feeders on the trellis which the woodpecker loves & in another couple of years you will not know it,s there.

DSC_0054.JPG
179.07 KB, Viewed 260 Time(s)

DSC_0019.JPG
185.34 KB, Viewed 236 Time(s)

Common Redpoll.jpg
75.15 KB, Viewed 244 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: