The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

1 More set for ID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BedfordshireBirder

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: 1 More set for ID Reply with quote

1 more set of Birds for ID before my whole batch of unidentified Birds have been ID'.

These were near some Wetlands and a large lake and once again, appreciate distance and blurry phography, the birds were 30 - 50 yrds away. I got as close as I could.

I think the first Bird (Despite being rounder than a circle) is just a Chaffinch, but it may well be a Bullfinch, probably a juvenile either way.

The second bird I believe to be a Greenfinch, 2 landed up on the tree flushing out a Wren, a Dunnock and 2 Blue Tits as it did so.

Also out there today were 8+ Long-Tailed tits, 6+ Fieldfare and a very brave Robin that perched within 0.5 metres. Not to mention 1 Kestrel hovering.

Also, 2 Cormorants, c250 Lapwings in a single flock, 83 Rooks and 3 Great-Crested Grebes.
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're probably right about both. The first is almost certainly a chaffie, and the second a greenfinch the bill looks a bit lightweight for a greenie, but I can't think of anything else that shape that has a marking at that low position on the wing. It's frustrating, isn't it, when you can't get a clearer photo (something I suffer from all the time, not having a long lens at all!)
BedfordshireBirder

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photgraphs never are perfect when you need them to be. I know what you mean, but theres nothing to be done about it when youre back at home. I always find I get good pics of Magpies, Blue Tits, Dunnocks, Wrens, Chiffchaffs,etc. in my garden. But when it comes to the Birds I want to photograph well as I'm unsure on their ID, I always end up with garbage. Such is life. I got some super Green Sandpiper photos last year though, the rarest self-found Bird I'd had in years and years.

I'm pretty sure, when I binoculated (If thats a word!) the Greenies up that they were Greenfinches. Beak looks pinky and kinda right for a Greenfinch. Yellow wing marking practically rules out Siskin, meaning Greenies the most likely. No yellow breast clearly either.

With the Chaffinch, again I'm pretty sure, but I just cannot be certain. I still haven't seen a Bullfinch since I satrted listing last August, its killing me, there sooooo Common.

The plumpness seemed to sway me from Chaffinch, but when their fluffed up like that they alaways appear bigger.
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the markings that make me think chaffie. Bullfinches' markings are very different, even young ones, and it's this that rules it out for me. But I'm not an expert by any means!! Someone else may correct me... Wink
BedfordshireBirder

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kit"]It's the markings that make me think chaffie. Bullfinches' markings are very different, even young ones, and it's this that rules it out for me. But I'm not an expert by any means!! Someone else may correct me... Wink[/quote]

Yeah, couldn't agree more, markings good for chaffinch, different from Bullfinch.

As for greenfinch, I've made my mind up too that I was right in the first place. Yellow marking on wing gives it away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: