The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Mystery Bird in Bedfordshire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BedfordshireBirder

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Mystery Bird in Bedfordshire Reply with quote

I was on 'Housewach' today for roughly an hour, just looking out my window. I recorded 24 Species in that time, highlighting at a Common Buzzard which flew N over my Garden, for a first flyover tick.

A miniture flock of Birds flew W and landed in a tree, 40 yards from my house. The optics I had on me were poor and I had to solely rely on my camera. The flock parted, but 3 different birds are shown in my photographs.

Please appreciate the distance photography, I'm not expecting much because of the range of the photographs, anyone think they know? I don't!
BedfordshireBirder

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a better pic of the mystery white-ish bird, it looks like a bunting to me.
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the left-hand bird on the first two pics is a redwing, and the one on the last two pics is definitely a redwing. As they fly around in flocks, I suspect the right-hand bird on the top photo is also a redwing it's the same size and shape.

Lucky you, I haven't seen any this year yet! Smile

BedfordshireBirder

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kit"]I'm pretty sure the left-hand bird on the first two pics is a redwing, and the one on the last two pics is definitely a redwing. As they fly around in flocks, I suspect the right-hand bird on the top photo is also a redwing it's the same size and shape.

Lucky you, I haven't seen any this year yet! Smile[/quote]

This is my 2nd occurrence of one this year, but somehow I've yet had no Fieldfare this year? I used to see about 20 Fieldfare for 1 Redwing. Oh well, Fieldfare will stick about I expect for at least another 3 months locally.

It's my first garden tick in a while at least. It landed in my solitary garden tree briefly eating berries, but the twigs blocked any decent photo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: