The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

A Story Exciting But Sad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: A Story Exciting But Sad Reply with quote

We left Miami on a cruise on the 20/10/11 heading for the Panama Canal about 50 miles in to the journey approx 500 birds landed on the ship it was not until the next morning we realised what had happened, there were healthy,injured & dead birds all over the ship. They ranged from Warblers, Cuckoos & Soras which are a Rail type bird it look like they were migrating from Central America to South America, we dont know if they were exausted, blown off coarse or both, but there was a peregrine Falcon picking off any that were struggling. It was nice to see the birds
that I had not seen before & so clearly, most Warblers would be hided by foliage. But it was distressing to see so many injured & dead birds. On deck was the environmental officer a young lady from Italy taking photos of the birds, I asked her are intrested in birds she said no we left port without these birds & I need to notify the authorities at Aruba that they are on board & what the speices are. So me & Colin another bird watcher on board set about going through ref books for Central & South America, Panama & the West Indies. we came up with a good list & added the latin names so they could be understood in any language, the next day me & Colin had a bottle of wine sent to the room & invited by the Capitan to visit the ships bridge for all the help we had given. It was nice to see the birds that we would not of seen, but I would have done without to see them get safe passage to where they were going (See Some Of The Photos Attached)

DSC_0016.jpg
153.13 KB, Viewed 257 Time(s)

DSC_0025.jpg
192.17 KB, Viewed 242 Time(s)

DSC_0072.jpg
253.78 KB, Viewed 233 Time(s)

Last edited by Snowy on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: More Birds Reply with quote

More birds on board

DSC_0082.jpg
49.66 KB, Viewed 239 Time(s)

Peregrine Falcon.jpg
29.89 KB, Viewed 241 Time(s)

DSC_0062.JPG
25.89 KB, Viewed 234 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Birding Outings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: