The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Warbler ID's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Warbler ID's Reply with quote

I left Miami on a cruise on the 20/10/11 heading for the Panama Canal about 50 miles in to the journey approx 500 birds landed on the ship it was not until the next morning we realised what had happened, there were healthy,injured & dead birds all over the ship. They ranged from Warblers, Cuckoos & Soras which are a Rail type bird it look like they were migrating from Central America to South America, we dont know if they were exausted, blown off coarse or both, but there was a peregrine Falcon picking off any that were struggling. There were a number of birds that I could not ID mainly Warblers which has never been my strong point (See Attached Photo's), any help would be greatly appreciated.

Snowy
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nr 1 & 2: I am not sure but suggest Dendroica pinus for the first & D. palmarum for nr 2.
Nr 3: Geothlypis trichas.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: More Photos Reply with quote

Hi Karwin, & thank you for your quick response I will post another photo of Nr1 Nr2 to see if it makes it any easier. I will be posting more photos of other birds that I could not ID over the next few days if you or anyone else can help I would be very grateful

Snowy
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: More Unidentified Birds Reply with quote

Here are some of the other unidentified birds from my trip
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: More Photos Reply with quote

Snowy wrote:
Hi Karwin, & thank you for your quick response I will post another photo of Nr1 Nr2 to see if it makes it any easier. I will be posting more photos of other birds that I could not ID over the next few days if you or anyone else can help I would be very grateful

Snowy
Seeing coverts' stripes I would say the yellow bird is Dendroica discolor (prairie warbler).

finland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: More Unidentified Birds Reply with quote

Snowy wrote:
Here are some of the other unidentified birds from my trip
...and I must add that my experience & books only cover area north of Mexican border. The first of these last ones looks just like not-exactly Vermivora ruficapilla or Geothlypis philadelphia, and might be some Central American species. The last one is a female tanager, by wing and bill colour I would guess (If this was of North American fauna) Piranga flava (hepatic tanager).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: