The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

People and animals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: People and animals Reply with quote

Conflicts arise. Farmers destroy prairie dogs by poisoning. Bears are apparently not easy to poison, wolves and foxes maybe.

Here we have a sami reindeer herder, with calf in an enclosure. The bear got them.

Then I believe he has to collect the ears to get refunded for lost reindeer. He put the ears in a bag in the snowmobile. The bear got to that and ripped the seat open to get the ears. (Mr Sami, you did not know that and left the ears there? He failed Introductory Bear class).
http://www.kainuunsanomat.fi/cs/Satellite/Kainuu/1194674162149/artikkeli/suuri+karhu+hyokkasi+kelkan+kimppuun+suomussalmella.html

unfortunately the bear, once it finds easy food, becomes a nuisance and is shot. Same with young bears that get abandoned, they never learn to hunt and gather. So they may go after dumpsters of food trash.
roditweet

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So appalling ... sad it is...... Sad

finland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: People and animals Reply with quote

Esa wrote:
Conflicts arise.
Finnish bear conflicts do not arise, they are started by people. In my area in southern Finland here has been two bear hunts this autumn. Bear is protected and hunting it here needs a special permit. Not that it would be difficult to obtain - one permit came to my email on one Tuesday, hunting started on Wednesday - and the complaining time to that only ends one month later. Luckily this second bear was more clever than hunters and was not killed. The reason to kill bears in my area is their damage to beehives, and it would be easy to arrange beehives so that bears, and teenagers, would not get interested. But the hunters, of course, are very eager to get this "once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity-to-"twitch"-a-bear". The first hunt was targeted to get "a nuisance male" killed - and they killed a female who happened to get in the sight of a weapon.

The news that Esa linked tells about big bear, but there is no evidence that it was any larger than common one. A funny/sad reference of the text: "The beasts -wolves & lynx- have killed 50 reindeers in this area... So we definitely are going to kill that bear".

We live in a forest where it has been documented lynx, wolf & bear inside ten kilometres radius during last five years, but I have never seen those animals (only tracks) - and I am sure that at least lynx & bear have observed me. Our kid plays in surrounding forests. Carnivores avoid people, and they do it very well.

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for the bears who are just coming out to look for food and they get killed by the 'always-superior-human'. I agree if it's self-defence, for instance, but killing a bear because it is a 'nuisance' is just mean. I don't know, I can't seem to kill anything (not even insects in my house anymore), so I feel really bad when people do this kind of thing.
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the conflicts come from people leaving food, such as poodles, easily available to the bear.
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esa wrote:
Yes the conflicts come from people leaving food, such as poodles, easily available to the bear.
Exactly Exclamation The most dangerous beast in Finnish forests are loose poodles, like german shepherds & rottweilers. Never in my life has wolf, bear or lynx threatened me, but annually I have dangerous enconters with these poodles. Dog is a wolf, carnivore, that is not afraid of people.

Once in this century has a bear killed a man. That happened because the guy, while jogging on forest trail, accidentally ran into this bear, who got surprised. Every year 1-3 Finnish are killed in elk (moose) + car hits, it is far more dangerous mammal than bear or wolf.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, people and animals, though some get along quite good, do not really work good with each other. There are even some animals you can pet but turn wild against you when not in the mood or be in a bad spot for that type of play.

That is why the man who is petting a bear is really at great risk as it can turn sour at any time of the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nature Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: