The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Abundance of Goldfinches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schoolsoutforever

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Abundance of Goldfinches Reply with quote

Over the past couple of days we have had an abundance of Goldfinches - lots of young ones included , in our garden on the field and uncut seed heads. This morning we counted in excess of 40+

We have never had this many before - they are not on our feeders but are in the garden and on our uncut field.

It is amazing. Smile
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - and welcome to the Forum. That is amazing - lucky you! We get goldfiches most weeks (I've just been checking on my BTO Garden Birdwatch records) - but don't even get into double figures. They are lovely little birds - no wonder the collective term is a "Charm" of goldfinches.

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning; what a lovely name a "charm" of goldfinches. How lucky to see so many goldfinches in one place I get excited when one lone goldfinch visits my feeder.

For the first time this year I have family of greenfinches, and also a family of bull finches (which really got me excited). I put these new visitors down to the sunflower hearts, they are certainly getting through them at a great speed of knots.

Also this year we have an abundance of baby/adult house and tree sparrows. I counted 35 feeding in the garden together, although we had a fatality this week, I think it must have been due to a window strike.

There is plenty of wild food around this time of year, lets hope the goldfinches continue to visit when the thistles have gone.
Joan Smile
Robina

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Goldfinches Reply with quote

Hiya,
Not sure if I'm too out of date for this, but we usually get a few goldfinches but have only had the odd 'scout'. We changed the niger seeds in case they were old???
We have planted some teasels this year in the back borders and they are coming on a treat. Does anyone know if the goldfinches will come to the garden to feed on the teasles, or will they go into the countryside instead? They are lovely little birds with a lovely song.

Thanks for any comments.
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robina

I don't know about Goldfinches eating teasle from the garden, but I do know they love sunflower hearts. I get regular visits from 6/8 Goldfinches at a time, other finches are also visiting in abundance, chaffinches, greenfinches and a pair of bullfinches, the male is particularly handsome in his spring plummage.

I have never put out Niger seeds because I didn't think we had finches in the area but the sunflower hearts have cetainly brought them into my garden.

I just wish the Blue tits would also visit, I have a lovely bird box ready and waiting for some takers.

Joan Rolling Eyes
Robina

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Goldfinches and attracting Bulllfinches? Reply with quote

Hi Joan and everyone
Thanks for your responses. We still haven't seen any goldfinches back. The niger seeds are not attracting them this year!

We have a pair of chaffinches - which seem to like grated cheese!

We've always had about 6 - 8 blue tits, great tits and long tailed tits in and around the garden. We don't particularly put anything out for them - they seem to enjoy picking at the nut bags and next doors plum tree!!!

Does anyone know how to attract Bullfinches please?
Thanks for your comments
Jody
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Bullfinches Reply with quote

When we had bullfinches before we moveod to West Yorkshire, they used to go on our big six port feeder which always had sunflower hearts in it. I think the secret of bull finches is that they like a general woodland environment with lots of deciduous trees, which we had in Burnley but don't have here.

AS for the goldfinches we have had them in the garden on sunflower hearts, and I have seen them in the wild on thistles and dandelions and only once on teasles.

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We continue to have lots of goldfinches in the area: I understand ours is not the only area where there has been an increase in numbers recently. One reason suggested to me was that they have greatly benefited from the recent decisions not to cut, or to cut less frequently our roadside verges: result more flowers going to seed, more seeds more finches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Visitors All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: