The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Bird Books
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Bird Books Reply with quote

I have too many.

Have to skip this one, but for the bird nest fanatic, hudreds of pages!
http://www.amazon.com/Avian-Architecture-Birds-Design-Engineer/dp/069114849X/ref=pd_ys_qtk_rnr_1?pf_rd_p=423948001&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BN1SHDZQAC5C326AR96
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My newest book is Advanced Birding. I liked his previous advanced birding better, actually his very first book. He drew all the pics, pen and ink, like K.
http://www.amazon.com/Kaufman-Field-Advanced-Birding-Guides/dp/0547248326/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311259756&sr=1-1

You can see the book sample pages. Impressions and Pitfalls is very infromative to read.

Kenn never finished high school before his birding career took off. He might have done it later.
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggled through a few chapters of this
http://www.amazon.com/Built-Animals-Natural-History-Architecture/dp/0199205574/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1311700651&sr=8-2

bird nests were mostly swallow mud nests
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esa wrote:
My newest book is Advanced Birding. I liked his previous advanced birding better, actually his very first book. He drew all the pics, pen and ink, like K.
I prefer to draw black & white because I am colorblind, and although I know the names & locations of colors on my water color palette, I occasionally make mistakes - like in the nineties when I painted a picture of Sterna caspia (caspian tern) to a caspian tern bander - with brown bill. So, I could write a book titled Disadvanced birding Cool

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as your hearing holds out. I can't usually hear a flock of waxwings anymore.
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like to keep up with changes in maps, names, the National Geographic North America is revised every few years and is up to date.
http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Field-Guide-America/dp/1426208286/ref=pd_ys_qtk_fr_3?pf_rd_p=53351022&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TT4PY7GPAAKKCB4A06K

I do not in fact like the drawings of sparrows and warblers. Even the old Peterson is better for warblers. Gulls and shore birds are good, so for the advanced birder it is a handy guide. The one volume used to be compact, now 10% thicker.
Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For really really really advanced birding:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Bird-Guide-Plumage-Palearctic/dp/1847736076/ref=pd_sim_b_4

no pictures!
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esa wrote:
For really really really advanced birding:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Bird-Guide-Plumage-Palearctic/dp/1847736076/ref=pd_sim_b_4

no pictures!
Sounds very professional. I guess these book will sell yet some more years... until they manufacture electronic scanning binoculars that analyze DNA & give instant 100 % identification to any.

Bird books should have pictures. Pictures are the most important part of identification guide. Texts belong to novels. Bird book needs no text. Why don't bird books have cartoons, too, to make the thing more user-friendly? -Because Karwin's bird guide is not ready yet Mr. Green

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Karwin"]
Esa wrote:
Why don't bird books have cartoons, too, to make the thing more user-friendly? -Because Karwin's bird guide is not ready yet Mr. Green

I hope you're working on it right now, K! Laughing

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
Karwin wrote:
Why don't bird books have cartoons, too, to make the thing more user-friendly? -Because Karwin's bird guide is not ready yet Mr. Green

Indeed it has now been under construction some fifteen years... Laughing

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
Karwin wrote:

Indeed it has now been under construction some fifteen years... Laughing

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now reading about a spring on a lonely lighthouse rock. Found in bargain bin for 9 euros.

He takes good photos but the cover is obviously photo shopped from two photos.
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laaksonen is one of the most active nature editors in Finland. I started reading that book one or two years ago, but then again I found something interesting in the internet (with my Windows phone Laughing ), and there that thin book still waits me on bedroom table... This year a book was published where Laaksonen describes his family's autumn & spring in another birdy island, Utö.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have one more new N America field guide. Nothing new otherwise, but it is the first book to carry range maps for subspecies. Previously I had just been underlining the subspecies that is likely to be found in our area.
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that book?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: