The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Baby tawny owls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Photo Album Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikecadoxton

wales.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Baby tawny owls Reply with quote

capture at 6.45 am one morning the location was almost impossible to see with the naked eye it was quite a distance away with foliage covering the path to the nest took me 2 weeks to get this shot
manual focus as auto was impossible

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a brilliant shot of baby tawny owls. The difference in size is quite noticable, but both look fit and healthy. The nest looks quite open, is that usual for tawnies?

Joan
mikecadoxton

wales.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The nest looks quite open, is that usual for tawnies?

Hi Joan
I have no idea this being my 1st encounter with an owls nest it was extremely well hidden I just happened to stumble across it as I saw something white flash in the trees so I set the camera up and to my surprise
but as mentioned this shot took me a good 2 weeks at around 6.45 every morning

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES indeed a brilliant shot ...... did you have to use a ladder? or climb a nearby tree ?? Bird Book says they do use old crows nests at times ...usually hole in tree or building. Great pic... Smile

wales.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
did you have to use a ladder? or climb a nearby tree

No I was lucky to have been on a high path on the local mountain the nest was nearly at the top of a tall tree so all I had to do was use the tripod remote control and manual as the location was extremely well hidden
I came by this by pure chance as I was looking for wildlife then noticed a white edge to the tree on close examination through the camera I was observing a magic moment in my life as I have never seen an owls nest let alone owls in the wild before and it took me a good 2 weeks just to get this shot
once again thanks for your replies

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a marvellous experience for you, and to find you could line the camera up on tripod. I have seen Barn Owls .. nearby, when taking wee dog for his evening stroll before bed .. a year or two ago ... first time one was sitting on a post under street lamp ... I immediately stood still .. and it was a number of seconds before it flew off into darkness.. having "inspected" me !
The second time, I was out for same reason , in almost the same place.... and saw 2 Barn Owls.... flying over the rough field in sight of the same lamp post ..... they were obviously hunting ... flying low and looking/listening for prey ... (there are mice and shrews in that field) ..... the lamp light stretched to where they were .... they were beautiful to watch .. and SO silent .. circled a few times .. and then faded into darkness. (ignored the dog and me).
Have not seen them since... but do hear both Barn and Tawny Owls call/screeching ... at night, at times... there is a forestry plantation and other trees nearby.
You may be lucky enough to get further shots of the family, hope so.
Thank you for your reply Smile .

wales.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roditweet
what a fantastic story that I would have loved to see, I have heard the old owl calling for weeks on end I live at the bottom of the mountain and she has been heard directly behind the house so I guess this is where the nest is
I shall have to pop up and have a look out for them I do hope to see them again but in all my 50+ yrs of photography this is a 1st for me
I started at the age of 10 and was 67 in April and I am out to take my wee dog out we have a west highland terrier Laughing
many thanks for your kind comments and your story

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at your Baby Tawny Owls capture .. the more exceptional it is .... especially as they are both facing the camera, and framed by the treebark, so appealing ....... u were well rewarded for the 2 weeks spent on the capture. As to reaching 67 before your first owl sight ... I was older when I first sighted the Barn Owls !! so you beat me to it !! Good luck for further sightings... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Photo Album Discussions All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: